Apple to hold next iPad and Mac event on October 22, 2013

Apple to hold next iPad and Mac event on October 22, 2013

Apple will hold their next iPad and Mac event on Tuesday, October 22. That's according to John Paczkowski of the Wall Street Journal and fits with the time line I'm hearing as well. It also fits with what Apple did last year.

On the agenda will be the new iPad 5 we told you about back in January, the one that's as slim and thin as the iPad mini but still packs a 9.7 inch screen. Apple's been working on a Retina iPad mini as well, and if it's ready, it'll be shown off alongside its bigger brother.

Apple also has that brand new can't-innovate-anymore-Phil-Schiller's-ass Mac Pro to show off again, which should ship with OS X 10.9 Mavericks.

Still, with everything we think we know, there's a lot that still needs to play out - will there be a gold iPad? Colored iPad minis? Will the Apple A7 go A7X for the iPad 5? Will Touch ID make it onto either the full-sized or mini iPad?

Keep it locked to iMore for full coverage of Apple's next iPad and Mac event, everything leading up to it, and everything you need to know thereafter!

Source: Wall Street Journal

iPad Air

iPad Air
Apple's full-sized iPad gets slimmed down. Features include:

Complete review >

Released
November, 2013

Alternatives
Retina iPad mini, iPad 2, iPad mini (original)

Replacements

Replacements
iPad Mini 3
Fall, 2014

Resources
Buyers guide
Help forum

BlackBerry announces cloud service for managing iOS, Android, and BlackBerry devices

Nest will be coming to the UK...eventually

kch50428 says:

Mavericks should drop same day??

Pearljammer23 says:

Any word on new Apple TV 4th Gen?

Sent from the iMore App

woody88 says:

Hi Rene,

Shouldn't the title of this named "Apple to possibly hold next iPad and Mac event on October 22, 2013" instead? As this has not been made as official news, so anything coming out at this time should be speculative at this time. Not trying to nick pick (maybe I am), but just thought this is not how it should be worded, especially after I read the article sans the official Apple invite.

robertpetry says:

ATD is pretty reliable and the fact that we have a Dalrymple "Yep" now is all the confirmation you will every need Woody.

impaler says:

I think Mavericks will ship a/o 22 Oct.

BenitoC says:

Can't wait, I'm dying to get a new iPad 5.

luqman24 says:

As you type this on your iPad 4 lol

CORYK333 says:

lol? Glad you found your own lame joke amusing bruh

nathers says:

any news on R-MBP updates? I assume Haswell updates are coming but they seem to be under the radar. Have been waiting to upgrade since like May :(

Solamar says:

I'm in similar boat. I sold my old rMBP for a good price a few months ago to help cover most of the cost of my upgrade. lord, talk about rMBP withdraw! Take my money already!

On a side note, I'm REALLY hoping they upgrade the Thunderbolt displays. I've been holding off since April, waiting for a USB 3.0 version. Now I'm hoping they support TB2..

Hoping the rMBP supports TB2 as well.. and they pump the nVidia card to a GTX 775M w/2gb GDDR5.. or at least allow for the option/upgrade!

Becjr says:

Any word on Maverics' price tag?
$30-ish like before?

Sent from the iMore App

kch50428 says:

Mountain Lion is/was $19.99

impaler says:

No word, but I bet $19.99.

Sent from the iMore App

impaler says:

Hoping for iWork '13...or something since '09...and iWork for iCloud out of beta. Also hoping for retina iPad mini, hopefully still will offer slate.

Sent from the iMore App

ajm91484 says:

I can't wait, I have been longing for an iPad..

devinp says:

I think they'll at least introduce colored iPad minis, if not the iPad 5. And they'll probably bring Touch ID to the iPad 5 but most likely not to the iPad mini until at least 2014. And I think the same thing goes for the Mac. There's so many other companies with their own desktops and laptops that have some sort of touch ID. I don't understand why Apple hasn't done it yet.

Trubador says:

YES!!! Finally! 64GB iPad5 WiFi+Cellular (Verizon) in Slate Gray, I have a home for you. I and my wallet have been waiting for you all year. :-)

This will be the first of several Apple product purchases for me this year.

Updated AppleTV, please?

Updated Haswell Mac Mini, please?

boovish says:

I liked it better when iPhones were released in July, iPods were in october, and iPads were in April. But noooooooo, Its all messed up

Nathan Bael says:

I agree. If not then at least move macbooks to April. Some form of staggered launch would be great.

crazygonzo says:

It IS crazy to release everything at once in September/October (iPhones, iPads, Macs, iOS, OSX etc.).
Not only new Macs were delayed but we still don't know what AppleTV upgrade will look like or is iWatch a nice iOS accessory, will Mavericks be a free update, will iPod touch get a refresh or just a price drop, and not to mention iPad exact specifics (still 16GB ? WiFi 802.11ac ? TouchID ?). Are we waiting in vain ? I hope that the next iPhone 6 & 6C will be released June 2014.

accesstech1 says:

What about Mac Mini?? Finally ready to trash all my Windows PCs.

shief24 says:

Serious question here:

What do you guys think is the likely hood of a new iPad mini coming out at this event? I literally just bought a 32gb iPad mini from Futureshop yesterday not knowing about a near release. Should I just return it and wait?

Thanks!

west3man says:

The real question is,"What is their return policy?"

shief24 says:

14 days. I place that on the 21st lol the day before the event.

025899 says:

Don't return it until the 20th.

czhDavid says:

Return it while you still can! It is more likely they will take it back few days after purchase than after 10 days

Nathan Bael says:

I would return it. I have the mini and it staggers on a lot of apps.

CORYK333 says:

Seems like ios7 is hit or miss on the Mini bc mine is actually snappier & slicker since the update, with battery life a tad bit better also.

GlennRuss says:

There have been reports in the tech news that a new mini may not be ready due to Retina problems until 2014. This happens every year. You can never tell what is reliable. I really hope there will be a iPad mini Retina display. Been saving up for one in 4g or LTE. That would be nice. I think I would return it. If the new Retina mini does not come out, you can always buy another one.

Derrick4Real says:

what about regular macbook pro haswell updates?

11thIndian says:

Either they'll get a silent release like the iMac next Tuesday, or they'll get a quick mention along with the MacMini at the Event. They're both just spec bumps to Haswell, so there's not much to go over.

DerrickRollins says:

I just purchased a new non-retina MacBook Pro. That should be arriving on the 16. If apple comes out with a spec bump to haswell, do you think they will let me swap up?

11thIndian says:

It's unknown whether Apple will update the non-Retina MBPs. They're just a stopgap until the price of the Retina displays comes down. As soon as those displays don't have just a price premium then the non-Retina machines will go away. Whether that's this year or next year is anyone's guess.

karmski says:

Been waiting to advertise my iPad 4 on eBay and today was the day. Thanks for the update!

I hope to have an iPad mini look iPad 5 with TouchID and the A7 chip. I love my gold iPhone, but generally buy black iPads because for me the black bevel is better for watching video etc. New smart covers would also be nice, but I suppose that's dependent on whether they introduce new colours to the iPads.

Sent from the iMore App

erikbock says:

I am looking for the MBP Retina to be Haswell updated shipping with Mavericks. I'm not buying until then.

Dark_Huntress says:

I am so looking forward to the 22nd! Apple could be introducing a new washcloth and I would still run out to the Apple store to buy it!!