Google Play Newsstand coming to an iOS device near you in 2014

We've already got one Newsstand on our iPhones and iPads, and Google it seems wants to be the second. Announced today, Google Play Newsstand is a new product that will be rolling together Google Currents and the until now Android only Google Play Magazines under one banner. The app is Android only at first, though according to Engadget it will also be coming our way sometime next year:

With today's launch, Google is putting the focus on Android, but iOS users will be able to enjoy the fruits of Mountain View's labor as well... eventually. A spokesperson told us that Newsstand will be coming to Apple's mobile OS early next year, primarily as a replacement to Currents. And, while you probably won't be able to purchase subscriptions directly through the app, you will be able to pick up periodicals through the web storefront and have them delivered to your handset or tablet.

Google's Newsstand is more than just magazines since it's able to pull in web content as well. A sort of one stop shop for all your news. Like the recently launched Google Play Music for iPhone, we shouldn't ever expect in-app purchases from Google, since they'd have to hand over a chunk to Apple. So it'll be web shopping only in that regard.

Currents was never the most popular of apps from Google, especially on iOS, but Newsstand looks like a more interesting proposition. Question is; would you use it?

Source: Google via Engadget

Richard Devine

Senior Editor at iMore, part time racing driver, full time British guy

Weekly Photo Contest: Rule of thirds!

iPad mini with Retina display review

djstarion says:

I'm actually gonna be using both android and iOS , so stuff like this is perfect. I just hope this isn't gonna be on the Play Music calendar

neelshah says:

I find this to be an interesting strategy by google, just like how they are importing all other android apps to iOS to increase the user base. I wonder, however, if apple's built-in app strategy will still prevail over google's every app on any device strategy. Maps is one area where they have lost mobile users once apple made their own apps.

evilokole says:

google's strategy is mass quantity data collection in any form possible...even if they get 1 apple user to sign on, it's icing on top the cake.

neelshah says:

Totally agree. And even though I may be in the minority, I prefer apple's apps like maps because I'm invested in the apple ecosystem and by using it more I'm helping them improve the app.

iSRS says:

I am right there with you. This move doesn't surprise me. Google has no real loyalty to Android, it has a loyalty to data. Who has the most loyal smartphone customers? Apple. Who controls, what, 40% of the US handset market? Apple, and all of it the "premium" silo. Google would be a fool to ignore us. They don't care where the data comes from, just that they get it.

Becjr says:

I have never had a need to use Apple's Newstand. I doubt I'll use Google's.

sir17reeder says:

I don't even use the built in newsstand let a lone googles version of it.

iSRS says:

My Newsstand is empty on my iPhone (well, no, NY Times is there) but I have 7 magazine subscriptions and 3 newspapers on my iPad. It is the perfect reader device for me.

asuperstarr says:

Google seems to be aligning their strategy similar to Apple. It should make for better products and option. I can't use to many different services. I need everything to be the same on all my devices. I don't want to remember which app an item is located.

joshrocker says:

I can already hear Cupertino's lawyers readying the lawsuit for the term "newsstand".

I do have 2 subscriptions on my iPad and enjoy reading magazines in the digital format. Now only if Apple will fix the pinch to close gesture on the iPad's newsstand app.

AdrianGabeChen says:

I love to use flipboard or site for news. This app may be great for android users

counterculture says:

Wait, are in-app purchases patented by Apple? I'm confused by the "we should never expect..." statement, but I think Google Newsstand would be awesome! Can it pull articles that you save to your book collections (or any reading material from the web) and essentially add it to the newsstand? If so, THAT'S AWESOME! Like an iBooks, iTunes U, Reading List composite!

Richard Devine says:

Apple takes a cut of in-app purchases. Google isn't going to want to give Apple money :)

News_Dr2521 says:

Google has shadowed just about all of Apple's stock apps, but I never guessed that they would release an app like this for iOS. Even though I probably won't use Google's version of a newsstand, I am curious to see how it resonates with iOS users overall.

cguilbeau22 says:

I tried it on my Nexus 7, I think I'll be sticking with Flipboard for my news feed.

zdn1042 says:

So Google is really pulling all the stops, huh. Minus, the fact that you can't make purchases from the app directly; if this continue, the iPhone may very well be one of the best Google phone you can buy.

Donna Green-Wiedeman says:

I wish I had more gigs available to use and buy more mags from news stand . It's funny how originally justified getting an ipad by saying I could save on books and magazines by buying digital.
My device is stuffed to the max.

jchancey14 says:

I will use it since I have magazines on play newsstand. A determining factor whether I get iPad or android tablet. I'm pretty hardcore android but think it might be neat to have android phone and apple tablet (also have iPods). So I'm glad to hear it's coming to App Store.