Would you like a colorful, plastic iPad c? [Poll]

Apple has had a mixed relationship in the past with colorful products, but so far the iPad hasn't been one of them. Meanwhile, Nokia has just dropped its first Windows 8.1 tablet, the Lumia 2520, and it's plastic, colorful and relatively well priced. Apple recently brought out a colorful, plastic device of its own, the iPhone 5c, so how would you like a similar tactic with the iPad? How about a plastic, colorful iPad c?

The Lumia 2520 is available for $499 off contract with 4G LTE and 32GB of on-board storage, and the latest Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 chip. Ignoring the Windows 8.1 vs iOS argument, on specs alone the shiny red plastic tablet offers more for the money than the iPad Air. But Nokia has managed to cram an excellent display and all that additional hardware goodness into a colorful, plastic shell, and no-one could ever accuse it of not standing out in a crowd.

So, how about it? Would you go for a plastic clad iPad that came in your favorite color, or are you happy enough with what we're offered at present? As ever, stick a vote up top and your thoughts in the comments below! And for more on the Nokia Lumia 2520, be sure to check out the full review over at Windows Phone Central

Richard Devine

Senior Editor at iMore, part time racing driver, full time British guy

Boxie for iPhone review: A better Dropbox experience in pretty much every way

Jony and Marc's (RED) Auction raises nearly $13 million

Team George says:

Maybe it's the pic that goes with this article that puts us off!

acondax says:

I know so many people that purchase iPad minis for their kids. This would definitely be a hit for that particular demographic. I personally wouldn't want one though.
Realistically I think there are more children with iPads than iPhones, so the 5C would be beat by this. However kids are getting phones at younger ages nowadays.

EPJS says:

Kids are spoiled these days. I didn't get my first cellphone until I was in college and paying for it myself. An iPhone (or any phone) at any age younger than 16 is irresponsible. And I only say 16, because that's usually when kids start driving, and you'd want them to be able to call for help if their car breaks down.

rtteachr says:

Young kids don't need iPhones, I agree. However, iPads are another story. I think a mini, while more money than a DS for example, is a good investment. Games are inexpensive, there are tons of educational apps, and the device will grow with the child.

Dark_Huntress says:

Totally disagree. I am giving my nine year old an iPhone C for Christmas. He already uses iMessage on his ipad and I want him to be able to message (if need be) when he is out not carrying around an ipad. It really depends on the child. Some children are responsible at 9 and some 16 year olds aren't.

He is also learning how to code. He can use both an iMac as well as a PC. He had his first iPad at 4. Why would I want to keep him away from his first iPhone? By 16, I hope he is writting apps for iOS!

Rodrigo Ribeiro says:

I couldn't agree more. You can easily spot kids using iPhones and iPads on public places nowadays. I was at a restaurant the other day and got intrigued with a little boy who was about 5 years old and couldnt take his eyes off his iPad for a second.

benlee78 says:

I agree with you 100%. They will live without all of these devices and will appreciate them more later anyway. Plus, kids are waaaaay to trusting with personal details online.

Teo Zhiwei says:

It is quite an interesting idea to have a colourful plastic cover. I do wish that go have a red plastic cover
As I will not let the whole device to feel bulky and heavy .

Donna Green-Wiedeman says:

Sure if it was the same but cheaper.

Premium1 says:

I wouldn't. Look at the 5c. People don't want a plastic apple device. Stick with the premium look and feel apple

igeorgetaylor says:

I agree for the most part, but the 5c is much nicer to hold than the iPhone 5s (probably the rounded corners), and I don't feel the plastic feels cheap! I was really surprised! Apple has done plastic the apple way...

sir17reeder says:

I think that they should go colorful but stay aluminum like the iPod 5.

Metro1088 says:

A plastic shell with round edges would make the device easier to hold. Just like the 5c is easier to hold and operate with. However, colors on an iPad sound like a real esthetic challenge for hardware designers.

Could be.

Heckface says:

I don't think it would look awful but still would have to say no. I personally prefer the sleek and sophisticated look with the aluminum back.

DomFeeney says:

I personally LOVE my hulk green 5c I had a choice of either the s or c for my upgrade and the minute I saw the colourful c's I just fell in love.

Not sure how this would look in the larger size of the iPad air however.... I think with the iPad mini you'd be on to a winner

EPJS says:

I wouldn't mind more color choices, but I'm not sure about plastic. It's not as recyclable as metal.

jngmin00 says:

I hate the idea of making such a cheap looking product. We already have a cheap iPad. No need for iPad C. Plus, iPad c also sounds weird doesn't it?

Jason49 says:

I like the aluminum and glass as the iPad is now. I'm not interested in the flashy bright colors or the cheaper plastic no matter how reinforced Apple says it is. Maybe I'm just too plain and not expressive enough, but I would never purchase a bright colored i device.

CJJones829 says:

I personally wouldn't buy it. I think it makes it look cheap. Whatever that is pictured looks horrendous.

TiredOfPhoneWar says:

The red thing on picture is so ugly,maybe becos of the big size though

lui22 says:

Personally I wouldn't buy a plastic tablet that's hyperglazed the PlayBook is about as plastic as I'll great it really really feels nice to the touch

techwizz23 says:

After holding the iPhone 5c I would absolutely love a similarly constructed iPad mini!!

Danny8200 says:

Just no....

Ipheuria says:

The look of the iPad and the iPhone to me are different. The iPhone has been plastic before (3G/3Gs) but the iPad has never been plastic. I think it's for a great reason. So while I'd love to see the colors. In anodized aluminum it would just scream quality and fun.

Ipheuria says:

Tyler Y says:

hmmm, that really a tough one! The results from the poll should be really interesting. Personally, I don't think I'd be a huge fan of a iPad color, because I already like how the new iPad air looks so much, for one reason. I'd MUCH rather see Touch ID in an iPad!!!

Sarcone says:

I think it might be good to have a colorful plastic back if the ipad could be made more durable because of it. Basically for use with kids or schools. Personally, I favor the aluminum back.

abaggy says:

I don't mind the color. Just keep the metal back.

abaggy says:

I don't mind the color. Just keep the metal back.

Trevor Conkle says:

I personally donor like the colorful plastic design on an iPad. The aluminum design gives it that premium look and feel to it. I would personally think it's just a samsung too. Since most things they produce are made of plastic. :)

nashlib says:

If the colour was like the iPod - yes
All brushed metal back in iPod colours.

But if plastic a BIG no !!!
IMHO

DYLANHABKIRK says:

Plastic just seems like a big mistake. I like the idea of colours on an iPad Mini, but not on anything bigger.

zdn1042 says:

I say stick to Space Gray and Silver. And maybe add Gold into the mix. If others want color, I'm sure there are plenty of colorful cases out there they can buy.

asuperstarr says:

I think the younger generation would like the colors.

Dominic Asamoah says:

I like the aluminium on my iPad...It makes it feel more premium than competing tablets.By the way,whoever took the picture of the Nokia tablet must be ashamed of himself.It looks way better than it is in this picture.Was it to ridicule and trash it?....Come on iMore,you're above this kinda triviality.

MrMarty77 says:

If they would make one, I would really start to think that apple became chinese...

escapedrift says:

No, I can just envision a plastic one someone has given to their kid and picking it up being all sticky and covered in juice or macaroni.

rtteachr says:

If it is made as good as the 5c casing I say yes. Otherwise, what is the point? Most people use cases that covers the color anyway. Personally, I have stopped using cases. Add bulk and weight. For a kid is definitely want a case on the current models.

G.4 says:

My first instinct is to just say no. I hate the idea. But after holding and using the iPhone 5c a friend of mine purchased, I am surprised how nice it felt and looked. If anyone could pull it off it would be Apple.

Becjr says:

Considering that I'd be putting a protective case on an iPad anyways, anything that helps drive down the initial cost without sacrificing Apple's experience sounds great to me.

Wlctttrue says:

No. I would not want a plastic iPad. But colorful ? I don't know I would have to see it first.

RobertsDP says:

I'm not so keen on a plastic backed iPad, but it do think anodized colored metal backed iPads would be great. Just like they do with the iPods. Every other mobile product Apple offers has color options...iPod touch, shuffle, nano, iPhones... why not the iPad line...

tigerinexile says:

Maybe plastic if you made it water-proof, too...

cyberMDMD says:

I would not purchase one.

iCarabma says:

I would probably like the price.

BTW, people seem to think that the 5c is a failure. It's not for us, it's for our mothers. It's for people who stumble into the carrier store without a clue what they want.

And if more people decide they want the 5s, that can't be a bad thing. Esp if that $99 price point got them in the door.

It's like saying the 16GB iPads are a sack of fail because more people bug 32GB.

moroboshi says:

"favorite color" written by Richard Devine, full time British guy.

Not full time enough to spell using standard English though, eh? Come on, this is utterly pathetic. The entire English speaking world, except one country, spells English the same way. Stop pushing incorrect, mangled Americanised spellings. Enough is enough. When was the last time an American author changed his or her spelling to cater for the rest of the English speaking world? Just spell how you were taught to spell, and stop pretending to be someone else.

lbendezu says:

Color yes! Plastic, not so much. Having said that , a colorful mini might be the way to try it out. All my kids use them at school and I see plenty of kids using them in my office when their parents come see me.

djstarion says:

I can't really see it taking off. It's such a niche product to begin with.

anders.ostling says:

Absolutly not. iPad have an elegant and classy design language and it would be a shame To spoil it with plastic toys.

davjaxn says:

I can't figure out why people think plastic is "below" Apple. I guess it is Apple's own fault though. Moving away from plastic with all their products (save the Apple TV) I guess everyone just expects everything to be aluminum.

If any products lend themselves to plastic they are he iPad and iPhone. Portable products that people carry around... And drop!

Happy WanOo says:

That will be a attraction for more kids to buy more apple products, because the colors.

News_Dr2521 says:

A plastic iPad would look and feel cheaper than the tablets found in your local Big Lots. I give this a resounding NO!

leocapot says:

Wouldn't be a bad idea. Also cheaper for the developing countries. Great first iPad choice.

applejosh says:

I'd personally think of a plastic iPad as a cheap toy (even though I doubt it would be sold at much of a discount to the aluminum one. There's something about the sleek aluminum. If I wanted a colored, plastic iPad, I'd just buy a case for it (actually had a Speck SmartShell that was rather nice). Most users buy some sort of folio type case for their iPads anyway, so the color probably wouldn't be too visible anyway.

RollTideFanGrl says:

I think it will be great for kids. Many of them are using these for schools and that is great in itself.

allthingspixel says:

I understand the cheaper, colorful iPhone 5c, but it'll be interesting to see if Apple extends this approach to appealing to emerging markets with their other devices. In contrast, Apple stopped making the plastic white and black MacBooks a while back.

DNRuffin says:

Not at all. Especially considering Apple would still charge a premium for it even though you'd be getting a less premium feeling device.

robsavage says:

Colorful looks cheap, silver/white and slate grey/black look classy. Maybe if I were buying one for my kids I'd think about it. But I'm perfectly happy with the color options I have now.

lee.michael.f92 says:

I think classy and cheap is personal perspective... But I see what your getting at. Apple has definitely set the "standard" in "some" peoples eyes.

lee.michael.f92 says:

lee.michael.f92 says:

I wouldn't mind one to match my blue 5c. It would be nice to just have the option.

lee.michael.f92 says:

Oh and if it makes it cheaper with slightly less attractive internals than why not? I would I for it. As long as it runs the latest OS then no worries here.

Good OL MC says:

It's not for me, but if Apple was able to reduce the cost of the iPad Mini by going the "c" route I could see a lot of Minis getting in to the hands of kids and families. That's a lot of possible iTunes accounts opened up for devs to try and sell things to.

HoangJm says:

thats look awful man ! keep the original

igeorgetaylor says:

This would be good for kids and people on a budget, but I'm not sure it would be a good move for Apple! There is already a bunch of plastic tablets
but they aren't any good. Apple already solved this problem with the mini...

Guy4Tech says:

I would buy one if it didn't have one major flaw. Windows.

Microsoft has a long way to go to compete in the tablet market and their windows 8 system is a train wreck. I wish so bad I didn't need them for work.

Jim Gramze says:

I have a green SmartCover on my iPad Air right now. I got it because nothing in the house is green so it is easier to find than other colors would be. I'm happy with gunmetal aluminum, black face, and green cover. Wait, isn't plastic grippier? OK, same weight or lighter, same price or cheaper, plastic like on the iPhone 5C. Sure, in 2-3 years when I'm likely ready for my next one. Is clear an option?

applelex says:

I would buy one if apple had it.. But I doubt they go that route given how great the iPhone 5c is it's sales were low and apple it's thinking of cutting the supply .. So if you guys were hoping for a iPhone 5sc or iPhone 6c it's highly improbable.

BeyondtheTech says:

Glad they stuck to aluminum. These devices take a bigger beating than the phones, in my opinion.

Dark_Huntress says:

I like the metal. No plastic and no gaudy colors.
Don't go changing trying to please me. I love it just the way it is.

graigsmith says:

I like the aluminum. And I'm really happy with the colorful ipad air cases. It fits perfectly. And is good protection for when I shove it in my backpack.