iPhone 101: How to Maximize iPhone Battery Performance
Poor battery life and iPhone are a few words that get mixed together all too often it seems. While some will say it's fine, others will say it's pitiful. As many of you know, battery life will fluctuate greatly between users and their individual usage patterns but TiPb wants to provide you with some simple tips and tricks on conditioning your battery to provide a maximum life and squeezing as much usage out of each charge as possible.
The battery in an iPhone is a lithium-based battery which is most common in consumer portable devices. A lithium-ion battery provides 300-500 discharge/charge cycles in its lifetime and the following tips are just a few ways to efficiently gain longer battery lifespans while extending overall battery life of your iPhone.
- Be sure to go through at least one charge cycle per month (charging the battery to 100% and then completely running it down).
- Always be on the latest software from Apple, 3.1 currently, as engineers may just find new ways to improve battery life.
- Avoid heat - do not leave your iPhone in a hot car or in direct sunlight.
- Optimization of your settings. Yes, some of these are no brainers but can be effective. Simple things like:
- turning off Location Services,
- turning off Wi-Fi and Bluetooth when not in use,
- fetching new data less frequently,
- setting the brightness of your screen below 50%,
- turning of the EQ while listening to music,
- turning off 3G while not surfing the internet (Yes, we said it...)
All of these add up to better battery life.
After you've tried some of the above tips and you are still not happy or your battery life is just horrid all together, you may want to try restoring your iPhone and do not restore from a backup file but rather restore as a new iPhone. All too often we hear about horrible battery life striking many of you after updating your iPhone to the latest software. If this is the case, 9 times out of 10 a separate restore as a new iPhone will clear up your battery issue.
Have some battery saving tips you'd like to share? Leave them in the comments for others to take advantage of!