Every week at iMore we publish more breaking news, in-depth reviews, helpful how-tos, and editorial views than you can shake an apple at. While we're waiting for the week that will be to begin, here's a look back at the week that was, and at the very best iPhone, iPad, Mac, app, and accessory coverage we brought you! This time, that includes a competitive analysis of the Samsung Galaxy S5, some important security updates, and more rumblings about the iWatch, new Apple TV, and iPhone 6.
Samsung Galaxy S5
- The 'Galaxy S5' problem: Samsung failed to take advantage of Apple's incremental S-year in 2013, but the iPhone 6 might just take advantage of Samsung's!
- Galaxy S5 or iPhone 5s: Which phone should you get?: These are going to be the two most popular phones on the market — until the iPhone 6 ships at least! — so which one is best for you?
- Samsung Galaxy S5 gets waterproof: Should iPhone 6 do the same?: The ability to withstand splashes and even submersions could be a phone-saver, and it should be an iPhone-saver as well.
- Why Samsung's fingerprint sensor needs to face the same scrutiny as Apple's Touch ID: Who cares about fairness, Samsung is big enough that their technology needs to be proven safe for everyone's sake.
- Find my Mac passcode lock brute-force attack: What you need to know!: Nothing really new here except the rapidity with which a passcode can be attacked. Does it affect you?
- What's on Peter's iPhone: Curious which apps are the go-tos for iMore's managing editor? Well, he's shared them with the community, and they may surprise you!
- Is Snow Leopard 'vulnerable to attacks?' Has Apple really abandoned it?
- The iWatch first-mover non-advantage
- Dear Apple: How about providing free iCloud backup storage for every iOS device?
Apps and accessories
- Best personal finance apps for iPhone: BillGuard, myFICO, BUDGT, and more!: Need help getting your money in order? Then you need these apps?
- Wacom Cintiq 24HD Touch review: 24-inches of touch-enabled, pressure sensitive greatness... if you can get past the sticker shock.
- BookBook case and DODOcase wallet: Two down, a few more to go on our annual iPhone wallet case roundup!
Tips and how-to
- How to take the perfect selfie with your iPhone!: Tired of your own arms getting in your way? Try this tip!
- How to use iMessage: The ultimate guide!: If you know someone knew to iMessage, send them this link!
- How to install a fresh copy of OS X on your Mac: Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do, and that includes giving your Mac a clean start.
- How to control background refresh to save battery life and data on your iPhone and iPad: If your iPhone isn't lasting as long as it should, try turning some of the fancy new iOS 7 background updates off.
News & rumors
- Apple updates OS X Mavericks to 10.9.2 — Fixes SSL vulnerability, adds FaceTime Audio, improves Mail and more!: It took longer to ship than iOS 7.0.6 but it was also a much bigger update.
- Tim Cook says if you can't handle environmental responsibility, get out of the AAPL: This week we learned two important things: Apple doesn't just do what pads the bottom line, they do what's right. And Tim Cook is a total badass.
- Apple's sapphire glass manufacturer readies for production, but will it be in time for iWatch, iPhone 6?: Looking for new product info in component news is like searching for stars using dark matter... but, stars!
- Is there new Apple TV hardware coming soon, or isn't there?: Some sources are saying there's a new Apple TV on the horizon, others say there absolutely isn't. So... which is it?
- This is how Touch ID and the Apple A7 processor keep your iPhone secure: Apple has posted an updated paper on iOS security and there's a ton of important details to unpack.
Your most important story of the week?
That's just some of what we published last week. What do you consider the most important story? Did we list it or did we miss it? Let me know!
This Navy Blue iPhone 12 Pro concept shows Midnight Green is so last year
Rumors of a Navy Blue iPhone 12 Pro have circulated a few times and we're right here for it. After watching this concept, you will be as well.
Appeals court dismisses anti-conservative bias lawsuit against Apple
An appeals court has dismissed a lawsuit claiming Apple, Google, Facebook, and Twitter were biased against conservative views.
Apple TV+ lands its biggest film yet
Apple TV+ has landed the right to 'Killers of the Flower Moon', a Martin Scorsese film starring Robert De Niro and Leonardo DiCaprio.
If you're in need of a CD drive for your new Mac mini, these are the best!
Just as there's still a need for home printers, there are still cases where you need a good ole' optical drive for your Mac mini. We've compiled some of the best options to fit whatever your needs might be.