What you need to know
- The Mythical Bug and Steel type Pokémon, Genesect will be introduced to Pokémon Go in a paid Special Research, like Regigigas.
- On Friday, March 20, 2020, at 8 AM local time, players who purchase a ticket for this Special Research will be able to complete tasks to encounter Genesect.
- Tickets will cost $7.99 USD or the local equivalent and will also reward players with valuable items, avatar costumes, other Pokémon encounters, and more.
As of 4 PM EST on March 17, 2020 Tickets are now on sale for this event.
After the success of the first paid Special Research Event, A Colossal Discovery, Niantic has announced another paid Special Research Event, A Drive to Investigate. This story driven event will be available to purchase soon for $7.99 USD or the local equivalent, and will reward Trainers with an encounter with the Mythical Bug and Steel type, Genesect. Genesect, the Paleozoic Pokémon, was revived from a fossil and given technological upgrades by the infamous Team Plasma. It was featured in its own movie, Genesect and the Legend Awakened.
This Special Research will be available alongside the previously announced Mysterious Weekend Event. This Event will begin Friday, March 20, 2020, at 8 AM local time and run through Thursday, March 26, at 10 PM, during which:
- Normal, Fire, Water, Electric, and Ice type Pokémon such as Jigglypuff, Magnemite, Marill, Houndour, and Snorunt will appear more frequently in the wild.
- Nincada will hatch from 5 km Eggs and can be shiny.
- Karrablast and Shelmet will hatch from 5 KM Eggs at increased rates.
- Bug and Steel type Pokémon will be showing up in Raid Battles.
- Exclusive Field Research Tasks will feature encounters with Scyther, Skarmory, Nincada, and Shieldon.
- There will be a bonus 2x Catch and Hatch Stardust.
While these things will make completing the Special Research, A Drive to Investigate easier, once purchased, Trainers will be able to complete the Special Research at any time.
In addition to an encounter with Genesect, participants will also be rewarded with a number of other items and Pokémon. These additional rewards include:
- An exclusive medal.
- Encounters with Pinsir, Scizor, Skarmory, Karrablast, and Shelmet.
- An encounter with the regional exclusive, Durant.
- Exclusive Genesect-themed avatar items.
- Five Premium Battle Passes.
- Three Super Incubators.
- Three Charged TMs.
- Three Fast TMs.
- Three Incense.
- Three Star Pieces.
- One Poffin.
- 15 Rare Candies.
- One Glacial Lure.
Are you excited for this Mysterious Event? Will you be purchasing the Special Research, A Drive to Investigate? Let us know in the comments below and be sure to check out our Complete Pokédex, as well as our many other Pokémon Go guides so you too can become a Pokémon Master!
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
Watch 83 minutes of Ewan McGregor & Charley Boorman riding their bikes
Long Way Up is available to stream on Apple TV+ right now, but this teaser is all-new footage.
Luna Display 4.3 adds support for wireless displays on macOS Big Sur
Luna Display has been updated to version 4.3 with support for macOS Big Sur ahead of the update's launch.
Bang & Olufsen announces new Beolit 20 speaker with wireless charger
Bang & Olufsen has today announced its brand new Beolit 20 speaker, which includes integrated wireless charging.
Spooky Nintendo Switch games listed from kid-friendly to terrifying
One of the best ways to get into the autumn spirit is by playing an awesome game, whether it be delightfully spooky or flat-out horror. Here are the best games to play on your Nintendo Switch this Halloween.