Pokémon Go: How to find and catch 'Summer Style' Pikachu
Pokémon Go is celebrating its second birthday with another special Pikachu: This time with a straw hat and sunglasses. But, once again, it's for a limited time — "Summer Style" Pikachu will only be available until July 31.
It's a birthday that lasts almost a whole month?
Don't look a gift hat and sunglasses in the mouth!
Break out those official start and end times, would you?
- Starts: Friday, July 6 at 1:00 p.m. PT / 4 p.m. ET
- Ends: Tuesday, July 31 at 1:00 p.m. PT / 4 p.m. ET
Didn't Pikachu have special hat events previously?
Absolutely. Pikachu had a Santa hat during the Holiday and New Year's Event, an Ash-hat on the one year anniversary, a Party Hat on last year's Pokémon Day, and a witch hat for Halloween.
Will 'Summer Style" Pikachu spawn?
You bet. They won't always show up on Sightings, especially if there are a lot of PokéStops nearby, but if walk within 40 meters, 'Summer Style" Pikachu will burst onto the scene.
Does 'Summer Style" Pikachu have an increased spawn rate?
Yup, confirmed by Pokémon go!
Be a good way to get that Pikachu Fan medal!
Indeed, and the Rocker medal for Electric types.
- Pikachu Fan: Catch 300 Pikachu for gold.
- Rocker: Hatch, catch, or evolve 200 electric-types for gold — including Pichu, Pikachu, and Raichu.
Can you track Part-hat Pikachu?
If you can find a nest or a spawn near a PokéStop, you should be able to track 'Summer Style" Pikachu, no problem.
- Tap the Nearby Tab at the bottom right of the screen.
- Tap the holiday Pokémon you want to track.
- Tap the Footprints button to start tracking.
Once you get to the PokéStop, Pikachu will spawn and you can catch away!
How to track Pokémon with Nearby and Sightings in Pokémon Go
Can you get 'Summer Style" Pikachu from incense or lures?
Also yes. Pikachu with a 'Summer Style" is still just Pikachu. So, Lure and Incense away!
Can you get 'Summer Style" Pikachu from an egg?
Most likely! Pikachu has been replaced in eggs by baby Pichu, and while baby Pichu didn't get a Party Hat or a Santa hat previously, it got an Ash hat and a Santa hat more recently.
If it does, you'll only be able to get a party hat Pichu from a new 2 KM Egg received after the start of the Pokémon Day Event, though. 2K Eggs from prior to the start of the event can only hatch regular Pichu.
So, if you want a baby with hat and shades, get as many 2 KM Eggs as you can and start walking!
How do you increase your odds of catching a 'Summer Style" Pikachu when you find it?
Pikachu can be notoriously hard to catch. Not Dragonite hard, but certainly not easy. It often has a red target circle, teasing its low catch rate Still, there are things you can do!
- Use a Razz Berry (1.5x). Golden Razz Berry (2.5x) if you have 'em. Unlike other bonuses, it's not dependent on you hitting the target. It'll work when you do.
- Throw a Curve Ball (1.7x). A successfully thrown Curve Ball has a higher catch rate than a Great Ball and almost as good as an Ultra Ball.
- If you're going for your first 'Summer Style" Pikachu, throw a Great Ball (1.5x) or even Ultra Ball (2x) too. The bonuses stack.
- Go for a Nice, Great, or Excellent throw by nailing the center of the target circle. Again, the bonuses stack.
How to stack bonuses and to catch tough Pokémon in Pokémon Go
Can you get a 'Summer Style" Raichu?
Of course! Just like last year, you'll be able to evolve party hat Pikachu party hat Raichu — as long as you have 50 Pikachu Candy you're willing to spend 'em.
- Tap on the Pokémon ball icon.
- Tap on the 'Summer Style" Pikachu you want to evolve.
- Tap on Evolve.
Will there be Shiny "Summer Style" Pichu, Pikachu, and Raichu as well?
We won't know for sure until someone hatches or catches one, but odds are good! (That there'll be some — odds are still low on actually encountering them...)
Can your trainer get some Summer Pikachu Style?
Yes... if you have your Pikachu Fan medal.
Any 'Summer Style" Pikachu or Pokémon Go questions?
If you have any questions about the Pokémon Day event, drop them in the comments below!
Get more iMore in your inbox!
Our news, reviews, opinions, and easy to follow guides can turn any iPhone owner into an Apple aficionado
Rene Ritchie is one of the most respected Apple analysts in the business, reaching a combined audience of over 40 million readers a month. His YouTube channel, Vector, has over 90 thousand subscribers and 14 million views and his podcasts, including Debug, have been downloaded over 20 million times. He also regularly co-hosts MacBreak Weekly for the TWiT network and co-hosted CES Live! and Talk Mobile. Based in Montreal, Rene is a former director of product marketing, web developer, and graphic designer. He's authored several books and appeared on numerous television and radio segments to discuss Apple and the technology industry. When not working, he likes to cook, grapple, and spend time with his friends and family.