Taken a bunch of great photos with your brand new iPhone -- or photos with your new iPad or iPod touch -- and wondering how to share them with the people you know? There are several ways, including Mail and Twitter, but you can easily use Apple's new iMessages service for free, or old style MMS if your friend or family member doesn't yet have an iOS 5 device of their very own.
If you already know how to do this, just save the link for family and friends who might not! (We'll do the helping so you don't have to!)
Sharing photos via Messages from Photos app
Sharing a single photo
- Open the Photos app
- Tap the photo you with to share
- Tap the arrow in the bottom left corner (If the menu bar has disappeared, tap the photo once to bring it back)
- Tap Message.
- This will open a blank message with the photo inserted. Fill in the To: field. If you wish, add text below the photo.
- Tap Send.
- The Message box with now disappear and send in the background.
Sharing more than one photo
- Open the Photos app and select the folder that contains the photos you want to share
- Tap the arrow in the top right corner
- Tap up to 9 photos that you wish to share (note you can choose only one if you wish)
- Tap Share in the bottom left corner
- Tap Message
- This will open a blank message with the photos inserted. Fill in the To: field. If you wish, add text below the photos.
- Tap Send
Sharing photos via Messages from Messages app
- Open Messages app
- Open a new message or tap on existing conversation with person you wish to share photo with
- Tap on the photo icon in the bottom left
- If you want to take a new photo, tap Take Photo or Video. If you want to upload a photo from your Photo Library, tap Choose Existing.
- If you chose Take Photo or Video, the camera will launch. Take your photo, then tap Use.
- If you chose Choose Exisitng, browse to and select the photo you wish to share.
- Both choices will result with the photo being inserted into a new chat bubble.
- To add more photos, tap the photo icon again.
- Add any desired text
- Tap Send
There you go! Now you're all set to start sharing messages via iMessage or MMS!
Let us know how this tip worked out for you, and if you have an questions, ask them in the comments below!
Daily Tips range from beginner-level 101 to advanced-level ninjary. If you already know this tip, keep the link handy as a quick way to help a friend. If you have a tip of your own you’d like to suggest, add them to the comments or send them in to email@example.com. (If it’s especially awesome and previously unknown to us, we’ll even give ya a reward…)