If you are like me and spent hours ensuring your album and track artwork is all in order in iTunes only to find that when you subscribed to iTunes Match it all went haywire, you are not alone. I signed up for iTunes Match last week when the international launch went live. I uploaded all of my music only to find that the album artwork showed up fine in album view but only the first track of each album showed any artwork, all of the other tracks had missing artwork.
Well the good news is that there is a very easy way to get it back. It can be a little time consuming but it’s worth it if you just hate to see that musical note and grey background instead of your artwork. A word of warning, this can take a while if you have a lot of content.
- Open up your music application
- Select the Album you want to recover the artwork for
- Click on the first song, it should start to play and if it's like mine the first track will have artwork
- Click on the next track button on the bottom right and it will skip to the next track
- Here you will see the problem with no artwork shown
- When this track starts to play, you will notice that the receiving data spinning wheel will appear next to your carrier name and 3G or WiFi icon. This tells you that the it is receiving data and that just happens to be the album artwork.
- It doesn't appear while the track is playing, you have to skip forward then back, then you will see that the second track now has album artwork
- The best way to make sure all the tracks on that album get artwork is to just skip through each of the tracks. When the spinning wheel disappears, you should now have artwork for all the tracks in that album.
Every one of my albums was like this after uploading to iTunes Match, I did this for them all and now my artwork is perfect. It definitely is a pain and takes a long time to do but worth it if you must have your artwork all in order. Hopefully Apple will address this issue in a future update but until then, give this a try and let us know if it works for you.
Tips of the day will range from beginner-level 101 to advanced-level ninjary. If you already know this tip, keep the link handy as a quick way to help a friend. If you have a tip of your own you’d like to suggest, add them to the comments or send them in to firstname.lastname@example.org.