Apple touts 85 million iCloud customers, sets service as strategy for next decade

Apple made their predictably astronomical financial statements tonight, but one tidbit in particular stuck out - their emphasis on iCloud and its 85 million customers. Specifically, Apple CEO Tim Cook said that iCloud isn't a product, it's their strategy for the next decade.

iCloud is still relatively new, having launched with iOS 5 last summer as a replacement of MobileMe. It's a bit more involved, and offers a lot more in terms of functionality, which you can see in our full iOS 5 walkthrough. It's interesting to hear Apple positioning the service as such a high priority, but  since they've pretty much owned the hardware game for the last couple of years, it's the next logical place to go. Having full-bodied services back them up will only serve to cement the iPhone and iPad as leading mobile devices.

Quick show of hands - how many of you actively use iCloud on a regular basis? How many of you sign up for it and forget you have it?

For the financial nitty-gritty of Apple's quarterly results, the PDF report for their Q1 2012 can be found here.

Simon Sage

Editor-at-very-large at Mobile Nations, gamer, giant.

Notes of interest from Apple Q1 2012 conference call

Apple TV doing well, 2.8 million sold last year with record sales in December

josephk71 says:

I use it and i love it, moving more and more away from google, waiting for iCloud to implement more functions. Hope they provide more functions.

Shameer M. says:

I use it daily. it syncs well with between my iPhone & Windows PC.

sting7k says:

I use it for iPhone back up only.

derk says:

I use it for backup only too. I still Google for my domain, email, contacts and calendar. Once the iCloud email improves (I give it 6-9 months) I could see myself using it fully.

musicfor18 says:

Although iCloud offers great new functionality, it did kill several very useful MobileMe features, such iDisk and keychain syncing. For me, losing iDisk is a big disappointment.

friscosooner says:

My whole family uses it for backups. I store my Numbers files on it for accessing on my iPhone. I just they would hurry up with an update for OSX and syncing.
I also use the match service and love it - when it it works.

eprisencc says:

I use it for back ups only.
Gmail for mail and contacts.
Google music for music (gmusic).
Picasa for photos (web albums).
This helps keep back up size small and totally eliminates iTunes from the equation.

FlopTech says:

We use iCloud for backup, Photo Stream, and will soon sign up for Music Match.
iCloud is just in its infancy now. It is as important to Apple's next decade as iTunes was from 2001 to now. Without iTunes, iPod would have just been a slightly nicer-to-use MP3 and video device. With iTunes, iPod (and iPhone and iPad) changed human culture forever. iCloud will keep that momentum going.

fishstick says:

For me ICloud has been a disappointment, several mobile me features are lost and I can't even use my Mobile me username to sync with Icloud properly, I spoke with Apple customer service several times and they suggested that I use hotmail.

mtcowdog says:

iCloud. Photo stream, find my phone, iOS backup, universal app and iTunes content access -- I like. Contacts, calendar -- OK. Mail and all things files -- terrible. So I use a combination of iCloud, gmail, and dropbox.
iCloud has a lot of potential, and I hope Apple works to improve it. Along those lines, I really hope to see iCloud become more multi-platform friendly. I don't think I will see that.

gewappnet says:

iCloud is just a name for a bunch of services. The weak point is the data storage service. It is not a replacement for iDisk and Dropbox and very few apps use the data storage. Even iWork on Mac does still not support the storage in iCloud. I really hope Apple gets the issues with this service and enhances it soon.

Craig says:

iOS backups and photo stream. I don't really "use" them, but it's there. I do use Match
regularly to play my music via ATV2. I'm not super impressed with iCloud but there is potential. I'm pretty happy with Google and Dropbox for most of my cloud needs. Apple would have to Introduce something really inovative for me to want to change what I do now. Just copying others' functionality won't be enough.

Pinny says:

This made me mad. I'm guessing 85 mill breaks down into:
50 mil don't even know they have it
30 know about it but only use backup
5 use more than backup
That's hardly "85 million customers who love I cloud". Tim Cook sounds like a sleazy used car salesman.