Noteshelf for iPad brings calligraphy pens, pencils, custom colors, and more

Noteshelf is by far one of our favorite note-taking apps here at iMore and now it's even better than ever. A recent update has introduced pencils and calligraphy pens to the selection of writing tools, and as if Noteshelf didn't already have enough colors to choose from, you can now bring up a color pallet to get the exact color you want or choose from millions of online pallets from ColourLovers.com.

In addition to the new writing tools, Noteshelf now lets your create notebook covers from your own photos and has improved landscape support and a more flexible page thumbnail view. Although it's not mentioned in the update notes, I have also noticed that if you want to cut a section of your notes, you are not limited to a rectangular shape but can outline exactly what area you wish to cut -- this is a huge improvement for my use.

Noteshelf now also supports the following pressure sensitive stylii: Adonit Jot Touch, Pogo Connect and Hex Jaja styli.

To celebrate the new update, Ramki is having a sale and Noteshelf is currently available for just $2.99 (normally $5.99).

I am a huge fan of Noteshelf and use it on a regular basis and this update just makes me love it even more. What do you think of the update?

$2.99 - Download Now

Leanna Lofte

App and Photography Editor at iMore. Mother, wife, and math instructor. Follow her on Twitter @llofte and send her apps to consider for review at iosapps@imore.com

Forums: Ditching the iPad 3 to get the mini, What's your best way to preserve battery for the iPhone 5?

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City coming to iPhone and iPad later this fall

Bcloutier says:

Leanna, which pen do you use for note taking or equations on your iPad? I have the Adonit Jot Pro and it's pretty good, but I'm always looking for what else is good. Any suggestions?

Leanna Lofte says:

I hate the adonit jot pro lol. I use Bamboo and Pogo Sketch Pro. Both are great, but I actually prefer the Pogo Sketch Pro. It's a fantastic stylus.

zdkaram#IM says:

I use a Bamboo. I had the chance to write with my father in laws $40 stylus...not sure which one...and didn't seem to experience too much of an upgrade. Especially not to dump the Bamboo and spend an extra $40. I normally just write notes so if anyone has a great note writing stylus let me know.

csd says:

I still far prefer Notability for note taking at work. Having built in voice recording options is indispensable when taking notes at client sites.

KungFuGrip says:

Agreed... I understand there are different apps for different people, but as far as I'm concerned, they might as well get rid of the "note-taking apps" category. Notability does everything.

hdxpmc says:

I have used EvoNotes Pro so far. I see only this app allow to zoom, four pen with ultra smooth, Rich text editor, and draw shape, grid, audio sync with handwriting, attach video file to note page easily, .... It is ultra note app which the ipad owner must have.

GoHuskers13 says:

I love Noteshelf! I wish it had PDF import ability but I have overlooked that for now. I am using an Logiix diamond stylus. It has been a great stylus so far.

TiNuts says:

I've noticed when you select something, you can now just move it around, without having to cut/paste first.

dloveprod says:

This semester I switched to notability but I might switch back to noteshelf to try out the updates.

krwithers says:

I love Noteshelf, I've tried others, but for me, this is great. As for the stylus, I picked up a boxwave evertouch capacitive stylus. Best one I've had by far.

T-Will says:

I really like Noteshelf, but have been waiting months for them to add an automatic to Dropbox sync.