Steve Jobs: 1955 - 2011

Steve Jobs: 1955 - 2011

Apple is reporting that Steve Jobs passed away today. The co-founder of Apple and the guiding mind behind the Mac, iPod and iTunes, Pixar and Apple Retail, iPhone and iPad, Jobs was 56 years old, and is survived by his family, friends, colleagues, and an industry he helped innovate and inspire.

CUPERTINO, Calif., Oct 05, 2011 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- We are deeply saddened to announce that Steve Jobs passed away today.

Steve's brilliance, passion and energy were the source of countless innovations that enrich and improve all of our lives. The world is immeasurably better because of Steve.

His greatest love was for his wife, Laurene, and his family. Our hearts go out to them and to all who were touched by his extraordinary gifts.

Apple has posted a page containing the following message:

Apple has lost a visionary and creative genius, and the world has lost an amazing human being. Those of us who have been fortunate enough to know and work with Steve have lost a dear friend and an inspiring mentor. Steve leaves behind a company that only he could have built, and his spirit will forever be the foundation of Apple.

If you would like to share your thoughts, memories, and condolences, please email rememberingsteve@apple.com

Steve Jobs' family has issued the following statement:

Steve died peacefully today surrounded by his family.

In his public life, Steve was known as a visionary; in his private life, he cherished his family. We are thankful to the many people who have shared their wishes and prayers during the last year of Steve’s illness; a website will be provided for those who wish to offer tributes and memories.

We are grateful for the support and kindness of those who share our feelings for Steve. We know many of you will mourn with us, and we ask that you respect our privacy during our time of grief.

Tim Cook has sent out the following email to Apple employees:

Team,

I have some very sad news to share with all of you. Steve passed away earlier today.

We are planning a celebration of Steve’s extraordinary life for Apple employees that will take place soon. If you would like to share your thoughts, memories and condolences in the interim, you can simply email rememberingsteve@apple.com.

No words can adequately express our sadness at Steve’s death or our gratitude for the opportunity to work with him. We will honor his memory by dedicating ourselves to continuing the work he loved so much.

Tim

We have no words, other than to express our deepest gratitude for everything he gave us, and our deepest sympathies to his family, friends, and colleagues.

Sprint will indeed offer unlimited data for iPhone users

Remembering Steve Jobs

mrod says:

:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(
that's all i have to say.... :(

robes1 says:

I'm right there with you! It actually hurts!

Xtremeyouth1 says:

I know, for someone I never met I feel incredibly sad over his death. With all the articles, video and conjectures over what he was thinking I feel like in some way I did know him and actually found myself rooting for him. I hope the company he founded stays true to his vision. As much as I can say I will truly miss him I know that is nothing compared to how his family is feeling and I wish them all the best.
Very sad.

Alex says:

RIP Steve! You will be remembered forever

Jbirdtmo says:

RIP great man who gave alot to the tech world

jon says:

RIP. Much respect...

Pbaldasaro21 says:

R.I.P. Steve Jobs. You will be missed!

mmmpow3r says:

Rest in peace! Your contributions have benefited us all...

cruiz1022 says:

Rest In Peace Steve Jobs

NN says:

We will miss you Steve. May you be at peace.

gabe says:

RIP Steve Jobs. You left your mark on our desks, on our ears & in our hands.

Dude says:

Oh wow! Prayers to his family!

DiamondDNice says:

A visionary, a pioneer, A legend. RIP Steve.

Sharring20 says:

As an android user, I can't say I liked Steve Jobs as a person. But it is impossible to deny the contributions he made in the world of technology. For that I respect him and will miss his genius, and some times crazy, ideas.

Ben Morris-Rains says:

As an android user you can't say you liked Steve Jobs as a person? That makes absolutely no sense. If you didn't like him as a CEO, developer, engineer, etc., that makes sense. You have no idea who he was as a person. And to base that fact on something as trivial as a mobile operating system...

icebike says:

You misread the comment.
Lets drop it, now is not the time.

Sharring20 says:

It has nothing to do with him being the creater of Apple and all that. It was just a way of me showing that even the fans of his competitor's company respected his work.
And as a person, I think he had some severe issues with how he adressed his competitors, their customers, as well as his own companie's customers. It is entirely possible for me to admire his work and contributions but dislike him as a person. If you couldn't read that far into my comment.. sorry for not making it simpler I guess.

Shawn Williams says:

I agree. That comment was a result of a cult-like loyalty to an OS. Crazy. Im afraid many Android & iOS users fall prey to that mind set. We must appreciate all technology, not worship it or its CEO. RiP SJ

HalizDad says:

Without him, we probably wouldn't have Android, or PC's for that matter. RIP Steve.

Kevindelcasale says:

Sorry you use Android. One can not deny his vision, passion, and determination.

NameRequired says:

oooommmmmmgggggggg how is this fuking possible

Maddmaxx308 says:

RIP. I hope they don't do anything tacky like a giant apple logo for the head stone. He deserves class.

Dameuntrago says:

Wow.. Thanks Steve for all you did for us..giving us the best phone in the world and more....

Newbornfugur says:

Thank you Steve, you have been and will continue to be an inspiration. Our sympathies to your loved ones.

Mils26 says:

I am really sad to hear this. I hope his family all the best!

kch50428 says:

There is a great disturbance in the Apple force.... RIP.

Dudley228 says:

RIP Steve Jobs. Your genius will be missed.

BillyB4 says:

I wasn't ready for this. RIP Steve. You were great.

stepchild says:

He was way to young and his lost will be felt.

buci says:

RIP STEVE JOBS.
A man truly ahead of his time.
A Genius.....
And the most respected man in the tech industry...
You will be missed

Roy says:

Sad day, wish him all the best...

Biggz says:

R.I.P. Mr Jobs. We will all miss you!

Tony2979 says:

Rest in peace Steve.....its so like you to hang on through October 4th before leaving this earth.

Prckybgd says:

RIP Stive.. and Thank You for iPhone!

Hans Madera says:

May he Rest In Peace he is more a lesson of perseverance other than anything else he is the prove that if we believe in ourself and try our best we can make our dreams come true

deviantdj says:

RIP Steve, at least your battle is finally at an end,

Willcannes says:

Wow!!! I am shocked. I just found out. What a great man he was! He really was amazing!!! RIP Steve. You will be missed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

@simonjhardy says:

Such a loss.
So many revolutions were carried out thanks to him, his work, and the team he assembled around him..
You'll be missed

Harold J Flores says:

I couldn't believe this was real at first... : R.I.P Steve Jobs, you'll be missed

Rich says:

wow I am very saddened, Rip Steve Jobs, one of the most creative minds of our generation

Smileyface779 says:

This would be the ultimate "And One More Thing" - a posthumous, pre-recorded unveiling of the iPhone 5.

Ripsteve says:

Sad to hear. Even though we all probably knew it was coming, nothing can truly prepare you for the shock, especially for his friends and family. Like him or hate him, he did do a lot for the tech world, and no one can deny that
Rip Steve jobs.

Knyarko20 says:

Truly saddened. Rest in peace... What a legacy he left...

Murad Kheraj says:

RIP Steve Jobs...I guess that's why it was a very somber presentation yesterday

rprather says:

This is a truly disturbing loss. We are all in his debt. Rest in peace, Steve. We'll miss you.

Jaw4bama says:

As a android user I can say that I will miss Steve for everything he has done for Tech. You will be missed Steve!

Robert White says:

The guy looked bad at WWDC. If only he had stepped aside sooner to focus on his health.

Robert White says:

"Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do," he told the Stanford grads in 2005.
"If you haven't found it yet, keep looking. Don't settle. As with all matters of the heart, you'll know when you find it. And, like any great relationship, it just gets better and better as the years roll on."
RIP

Gdmerritt says:

That sucks...He was definitely an innovator and badass. I'm a driod guy all the way, but without SJ, Android probably wouldn't have happened.

ren says:

R.I.P. This must have been difficult for Tim and his team yesterday to know the end was near

Michael Lee  says:

Same thing I said to my wife. Very difficult indeed!

CharmedMouse says:

He held on to see his next baby unveiled.

Scaredkow says:

Heartbreaking Steve has been my idol since I was a kid what a loss :(

Janet says:

An enormous loss to the growth of technology. He will sorely be missed.

Patcast99 says:

RIP Steve Jobs...you where our time Leonardo Da Vinci!

dawggg63 says:

Great comparison. Steve changed changed the world like very few have.

Jasonharveh195 says:

From biggest android fanboy Rip you changed the world

Nicholas Frisbie says:

I am at a loss for words... I didnt have baseball heroes or football heroes I grew up watching Steve Jobs wishing to be like him... It may sound silly but Steve Jobs was my hero... RIP

N25000 says:

Oh. My. God...This man was an icon..i dont even have the words...This man has been my idol for years..I cant even look at the apple sighn on the products in my house without a tear...tear tear

ajlp09 says:

the saddest day technology will ever face...R.I.P. Mr. Jobs.

Matthew Curtis says:

thanks steve for all that you have done

E Pow says:

RIP Steve. Great man. Great Inventor.

francolasalsa#IM says:

RIP Steve Jobs , you will go down in History in the same league as Thomas Edison, Alexander Graham Bell and the Wright Brothers as an investors who have changed the course of humanity

DannyDingle says:

Don't you mean inventors??

BTH says:

I didn't agree with his philosophy, but his influence surrounds us. RIP, no more suffering.

Jakim says:

The loss of a true visionary. The world benefited greatly from your genius. Thank you Mr. Jobs.

Eyepaq says:

Ya know really, a great man lost his life and people can’t say anything respectful, Unbelievable!

Robb Nunya says:

RIP Mr. Jobs. You were a genius and you broke much ground. From the Apple II, to the Mac, to the iDevices. Your presence will be missed.

cheburashka says:

oh, wow! :( sooo sad. this is such a loss to the world :(

Mr.LouWeiss says:

Rest in peace Mr. Jobs and thank you for your contribution to the world. Thinking Different is indeed magical!

Dorito says:

OMG this is crazy! RIP Mr. Jobs

MrMe says:

Steve is a role model. As someone who always knew what he wanted, had high expectations and seldom expected anything. He brought little magic to all of our lives. Making technology fun and new again. I will always look up to him as an example.
Fair well.

Rcolyer says:

He was a master of Tech Marketing. There where MP3 players before the iPod, but he made want his. There where smartphones before the iPhone, but he made you want his. He knew how to market tech to the public, and for that he deserves a lot of respect.

dawggg63 says:

wow... glad no one is wishing the same of you or your family.

Patlarkin says:

I bet these little kids talking trash are making comments from apple products or apple inspired products.

chris says:

RIP steve.
he's up in the iCloud watching over all of us and our streams. :)

AxlLebeer says:

Little creepy, but a sad lott none the less. Although I'm not a fan of the iphone, the man definitely had a huge impact on the tech world. It's hard to say where the mobile world and beyond would stand today without him as some of the technology that was created under his watch molded how other companies progressed over the years.

Ylequang says:

“In appreciation of Steve Jobs: Here’s to the crazy ones, the misfits, the rebels, the troublemakers, the round pegs in the square holes… the ones who see things differently — they’re not fond of rules… You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them, but the only thing you can’t do is ignore them because they change things… they push the human race forward, and while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius, because the ones who are crazy enough to think that they can change the world, are the ones who do.”

IceDree says:

At first when I saw the post at Android Central , I thought Phill was kidding or something , but damn
Loved Steve or Hated him , you gotta admit that he was a real genius & his visions did change the world & owe him allot for the technologies we have today
Our prayers goes to his family
Rest In Peace ... Steve

Jake01109 says:

Steve will be missed forever. He is an icon of my generation and I pray he is for future generations, men like him can change the world for the better.

Zack Jaghory says:

I can hardly believe it, RIP Steve, thank you for the iPhone and everything else that was inspired by it. Thanks for pushing your competitors to keep innovating.

zuntax says:

Thank you Steve, your legacy will live forever, i hope you are at good place, God Bless.

BrianTufo says:

Also not a fan of Apple mobile products any longer but it's a sad day. Steve Jobs paved the way for technology and made us all have better products. He will be missed.

Luiggi2710 says:

Very Sad.. Life wont be the same anymore. R.I.P Steve Jobs!!

Ylequang says:

Here's to Steve! 

j7469 says:

RIP! Really seems silly now complaining about the small upgrade of the 4s. Times like this how us what really matters.
You will be missed Steve. May you fly with the angels.

charlestonsc says:

God Bless Steve Jobs. He will missed.

Geoffrey says:

Sickeningly ironic that he dies now. But that does raise the question, was he weekend at Benie'sed 'till now?

rex450se says:

I will preface this by saying I am typing this on my MacBook Pro, but could just as easily do it with my iPod touch, iPhone or iPad, and I will will probably go to hell for it also. Buuuuut, if I had grown Apple to what it is today and then turned it over for them to have that keynote yesterday, I would have died also.
With that said I had a lot of respect for what the man has done not only for Apple, but for the technology industry as a whole

Chris G. says:

He is now in iHeaven, may he rest in peace...

BB_Bmore says:

you are a genuine piece of shit and you should change your name from the brain to the terd! you stink!!!

Vince Guarino says:

R.I.P. Steve Jobs. A great loss to innovation and quality, if only others could follow his lead in the world i think it would be a better place. Strive for perfection push the limits and do things that people said could not be done. I never wish that people may suffer in life but nice to know that his is over.

Ylequang says:

In appreciation of Steve Jobs: "Here’s to the crazy ones, the misfits, the rebels, the troublemakers, the round pegs in the square holes… the ones who see things differently — they’re not fond oyf rules… You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them, but the only thing you can’t do is ignore them because they change things… they push the human race forward, and while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius, because the ones who are crazy enough to think that they can change the world, are the ones who do.”
To Steve! 

Nikki Parker says:

Rest In Perfection Mr. Jobs!!!! Although I'm an Android user, I haven't purchased a PC since I bought my 1st MacBook in 2006 & I refuse to go back...you changed they way I view computers just as you did for many others. You will definitely be missed but never forgotten!!!!

Robert Vance says:

I am very saddened by this news. I feel like someone very close to me has died and I couldn't get there to say goodbye. You will be missed Steve.
An Apple and Macintosh user from Way back in 1983.

Kyle says:

Wow... Just wow, about 2 months ago he resigns and now this. RIP Steve you were truly a visionary. I just hope that the technology companies of the world that rival Apple will be able to honor his memory as well, as the smartphone, PC, and tablet markets would be nothing like they are today without Steve's vision. May his guidance lead the path of the future...

Robert Vance says:

An Apple IIc and Macintosh user from 1983 to present

cctpitts01 says:

I am a fan of Apple and Android and Steve Job will be missed dearly. I believe because of his ideas Apple and Android are were they are today. Honestly I'm surprised that the event even took place yesterday with this happening. Again Steve you will be missed.

cosbin2 says:

RIP. I was hoping for more time for him to bounce back.

Donnavon Hallgren says:

You all can take the iPad/iPhone and shove it up yer bums!!! With that said, Steve RIP. You will be missed by all.........

Rob says:

God bless you and your family. Rest in peace Steve.

steve bell says:

may you rest well and in the hands of angels. your creative mind now becomes a part of a greater compendium. rest easy my friend, rest easy.

SpiceRak2 says:

May God grant Peace to the Loved Ones, Friends and Followers of this brilliant business man. He will be missed. R.I.P. Mr. Jobs.

Saddened says:

RIP Steve! You were a visionary and you changed the personal computer world with your Macs; the portable music world with the Ipod and the mobile phone world with the iPhone. Not to mention how music is purchased ala iTunes! Your legacy lives on in what you have created and the changes you have led. Your impact will be felt for some time to come. God bless you and your family! You will be missed!

Lui says:

~Thank you steve~
Sent from my heart

Nick Powers says:

To say I was shocked when I came to check the latest 4S news would be an understatement. I'm oddly saddened in a way that I wouldn't have expected myself to be. It's not like I knew the guy; but in a way, I think we all did. Just a little bit.
I hate the Macintosh with a passion. I love Apple products, but I truly abhor OS X. For a long time, the Macintosh hatred kept me from touching anything Apple, but I just couldn't resist the siren song of the iPod 2G, with its 20GB of storage. That's when it began. Now, I own more Apple products than any other technology company, including if you factor in any product that uses electricity in my house.
To say that Jobs touched the world in a way that was profound would be an understatement. He redefined the world through technology and vision. Whether you're a Mac/Apple hater, a fanboi, or simply indifferent, it's undeniable what he has done to change the landscape of the 21st century, both from a technology standpoint as well as a business one.
I hope, for all of our sakes, that he left a roadmap of his vision for the future. If not, I shudder to think of the task that the people that are left to fill his gigantic shoes are undertaking.
Whoever that is, I truly hope they "Think Different". RIP Steve. You'll be missed.

Eziroth says:

The world has lost a visionary leader. I may not be a quote/ "apple fanboy" end quote, but Steve Jobs led the way to technology being a part of our daily lives. Great man, a brilliant mind, and a visionary leader has left us. We all owe a part of our time here to respect this great person.

Aandlwireless says:

I agree. Like i said it might be the end or it might be a new fresh start. As a person i human being i wish Steve all the best in heaven but as a person i just couldnt stand Steve very much. I just wish he would had been a better person. Rest in Peace Steve.

Sad Alfie says:

It's a sad day. . He was only 56. Plenty of time to come up with new ideas. We Have lost a great individual. My thoughts and prayers are with his loving family. May he rest in piece.

Jolokia says:

Just wow. Rest In Peace. I really have nothing to say. Mr. Jobs, I pray your family finds peace in this extremely difficult time.

Mav says:

The world lost The Genius... a huge loss. The world will never be the same...

Runswithscissors#IM says:

Today, it doesn't matter which platform I use. Thought and prayers for the family and apple employees...not an easy thing to go through, especially at a time when they would like to be focusing on their new product launch.

John Carollo says:

It's a very sad day. I remember in elementary school that the computer room was all older Mac computers and I couldn't get one at home because we didn't have the money but my Uncle had one and I loved going over to use it. Since I'm older and am able to work now, I have almost every Apple product.
I look up to you Steve Jobs because I wish I had the patience and skills to do what you did.

GraysonIP says:

I simply did not expect this to come so soon. My family's prayers are with his loved ones. What a loss.

John Hovius says:

BlackBerry phones would not be what they are today if it were not for Steve Jobs. He was a man who defined the future. My deepest condolences to his family, friends and many fans.

Wouldyaa says:

PICS OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN!!!!!!!

Steven Zepeda says:

Quit being a trolling asshole. Steve you will be missed. RIP. I truly feel like someone close to me has passed.

Brad Morris says:

Gone before his time. Rest in Peace Steve. You memory will live on. You truly changed the world.

ricbon says:

To the disrespectful comments here I hope they get blown away.......R.I.P Steve Jobs..my condolences to his family I know it's hard to lose a family member...thank you for everything!!

Droid boy says:

Android user here to thank SJ for his vision on what mobile devices can do. Smartphones would not be where they are today without SJ. We'd probably still have ugly bricks running Windows CE. RIP Steve and again thanks.

extol4000 says:

Not many human beings can say that they changed the way that people think in a positive way to benefit humanity. While Steve Jobs did not save lives, he certainly gave us many means of making our lives easier, happier & more productive.
I am grateful to be free of the headache that is Windows.
I am grateful that we have a better choice in technology that constantly strives to push the envelope.
I am grateful to have a simplified 'all-in-one' device that is more than I could've ever dreamed of.
Godspeed, Steve. Godspeed.

LMOURELLE says:

GRACIAS POR TODO LO QUE CONTRIBUÍSTE, GRACIAS POR HABER CAMBIADO NUESTRA CALIDAD DE VIDA!!!!!

Marlonmidgette says:

I'm really sadden a true visionary tech is no longer with us,..a true apple fan here

K Arhaks says:

Thank you Steve for everyhting, a true insperation to us all and we will deeply miss you and your vision.

Byte says:

Steve kept apple going... apple is a company that forces out people after 5 years of employment... so they have no sense of continuity except through Steve. Now the bets begin-- I give apple 2 years before it collapses.

Joseph Egbule says:

RIP to the best CEO to ever live. One who started the company, brought it up when it was struggling, and became the face of the company.

Sad day says:

"almost everything - all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure - these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important."
- Steve Jobs
Tic Tochttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOVNNlRjJfI

Jbbarrette says:

R.I.P. Steve....condolences to you family and friends.

Brandon Davis says:

Our grandchildren and great grandchildren will think of Steve Jobs in the same manner as we think of Thomas Edison. Complete genius. Think Different.

Kenniki says:

R.I.P Steve a brilliant Man......

sominex says:

Rest in piece Mr. Jobs. You will surely be missed.

Steven Zepeda says:

Now that is just disrespectful. And totally uncalled for

Aandlwireless says:

i gave him a rest in peace. So what is disrespectful? That i didnt like him as person? I dont have to an everyone has to agree lately everything apple wasnt reinventing and other companies surpassed apple. But this isnt what matters. rest in Peace Steve.

ArGiEs says:

Cheap, cheap, low-rent, comments.

isdaako says:

Steve saw the future and showed us his vision of it. Most recently that vision narrowed, as it should, toward a more personal focus, preparing for the next stage in not only his companies direction but in his. Still, the end came too quickly.

tommyb_23 says:

Goodbye to a great visionary , you will be missed , no one will ever fill your shoes they way you did, no one will see your vision as you did, no one will ever be able to replace you , no one will accomplish the things you did in so little time. Thank you , and goodbye......RIP.

ajlp09 says:

yesterday, Apple unveiled the iPhone 4S
this was actually a tribute and play on words...
iPhone ForSteve

John C says:

sad day...prayers go out to the family

Jt says:

Rest in Peace Steve. I will always remember you for humanizing Technology.

Nate says:

I have this overwhelming desire to call for a moment of iPhone silence. He was simply a great visionary.

GS2live says:

A day that Android & Apple users come together dumping the fanboy games thanking you for everything you've done for the samert phone world.
RIP Steve you will truly be missed

tommyb_23 says:

APPLE ........ iPhone, iPad, iPod, iMac, Macbook, itunes, iCloud........Apple
THE HOUSE STEVE BUILT.

Robert White says:

Then why do you keep doing it?

Braun00 says:

SJ - you will be missed!

R.I.P says:

I once wrote an essay in 8th grade. The question was if you could have lunch with any famous person in history, dead or alive, who would it be and what would you say to them. I wrote all about Steve Jobs and how I always wanted to meet him. He was my hero growing up. R.I.P Steve. You have changed the world in so many ways!

Tyrone Ain says:

I had to go to other websites and google to make sure this wasn't a bad prank or something.. I'm truly speechless. Rest in peace Steve Jobs.

Igrar Aliyev says:

My sincere prayers to him and his family. Everybody will die some day but the most important is what you did before you died. He is as important for humanity as Edison who invented electricity, and as many other great men and women. Rest in piece and God bless you Mr. Jobs...... so sad so tearful..

slalomskie says:

May he rest in the big iCloud in the sky.

phinx404 says:

Rip steve jobs! My condolences to your family.

Guest says:

I wonder if he ever paid Woz the money he scammed him out of back in the garage days?

phinx404 says:

Rip steve jobs! My condolences to your family

jskoland says:

I am very sadden to hear the news. I have been in the IT field for almost two decades and before i started using apple products I never truly enjoyed my job. Apple and Steve's vision made everything fun and exciting. Steve you will be missed by the world. RIP Steve.
Sent from my iPad

Johnf440 says:

Let me begin by saying that Steve Jobs was one of the greatest American stories in our brief history. He was truly a visionary. Without his insistence on doing things the Steve Jobs way, most of us would still be trying to figure out some terrible Creative MP3 player and how to get music on to it. We would likely be using overpriced feature phones or worse yet Windows Mobile 6.x devices. It is utterly astounding what this man has meant to so many.
That being said, I have been on the opposite side of Apple and Steve for most of my life. Everybody else had an Apple IIe when i was in grade school...I had a Commodore 64. In middle school - the Mac. Me? Commodore Amiga. I've been a PC enthusiast for most of the last 20 years without exception. I even prefer Android for myself (wife and son both have iPhones) when it comes to mobile devices. In short, I personify somebody who should not be affected in any way by this news. That could not be further from the truth.
You see..for years, I have been a fan of technology and the computer industry. I have read books, had a subscription to Byte magazine as a kid, gotten in physical altercations over the fact that programmable sprites and multi-voice sound chips were vastly superior to what the Apple II was pulling over on all of us. But they still came. My Amiga 500 was based on the same processor as the original Mac, just with a slew of custom chips allowing animation, full fidelity multi-channel sound, and the ability to display over 4,000 color on the screen at the same time. The Mac was essentially a black and white screen and passable-at-best mono sound. But they still came...
I could go on about the thousands of products that were 'better' than what Steve up with down in Cupertino - technically. More memory, faster processors, blah blah blah. It didn't matter. The Apple faithful still followed him like some kind of half-crazy, wild-eyed mock turtle neck wearing pied piper. Its not the box - its the experience. That is what Steve taught me. Innovate and develop the best products in the world to use as if nobody is watching. Talk to people and actually listen to what they are saying they want. Give it to them.
Steve Jobs has been an inspiration, a source of frustration, and at times a perceived enemy for many of us. But I cried when the CBS news broke in tonight. I shed tears because even when his ideas seemed frankly stupid and I had to shut off one of his over the top product introductions with the covered device on some plexiglass altar to his Steveness...he was like family. I felt like i knew him. He was the uncle that I got in petty arguments with at Thanksgiving. He was the kid in class who never seemed to study, but somehow pulled an A out at the last minute.
There is a giant void in the world tonight because he is no longer with us and it hurts. He has been a part of my life since age 8 in one way or the other. It is like we have all lost a member of the family this evening.

Androids Future says:

I was in an AT&T store when a worker broke the news. Truly saddened and stunned. The challenge he presented to Google and Android is why we all have what we do today.

Jason says:

Steve you will be missed by the world. I have been in the IT field for almost 2 decades and until I started using Apple products I truly never enjoyed technology. Steve and Apple revolutionized the technology industry and I personally am very thankful and grateful for that. RIP Steve, you will be missed
Sent from my iPad

Mike S. says:

One of the greatest innovators of our time. He changed the way we do EVERYTHING. He will be missed by everyone. Thank you for all the great products I own. My iPhone 4 is the greatest device I have ever held in my hand. RIP Steve Jobs.

G Money says:

Thank you Mr. Jobs, your products have brought entertainment, convenience, and inspiration to me and my family. May you forever rest in peace.

SJ says:

RIP Steve - thanks for everything, and also for a great example of what hard work mixed with a little ingenuity can bring. America and the world is all the better for your example.

Greg Dodgen says:

He'll be missed, for his visionary approach to everything, from hardware to movie making to transforming entire industries and markets.

mynameseli says:

RIP steve rip i am a blackberry and iPhone person but that dosent matter anymore.

iPhon3 says:

I couldn't believe it when my boss told me today that he passed away.
He told me "the apple guy died" (he's not too much into tehnology,
Didn't know the name) I get to the tv room to find out it was Steve.
Unreal!
R. I. P.

Guest says:

Denial of a 1st born, didn't believe in philanthropy, hell is a hot place to be any time of the year.

dloveprod says:

I still can't believe he's gone. R.I.P.

Dmatthews says:

Inventor, innovator, visionary, entrepreneur, awesome CEO, brilliant are just some of the words that come from my lips.
These words come from a guy who uses ABSOLUTELY NO APPLE PRODUCTS!!!!
That however does not stop me from paying homage to this awesome individual. He was a freakin' business genius who did only ONE semester in college and started Apple at the ripe old age of 21!!!!!
The sole reason I do not use his products are because of the closed nature of iTunes et al.
So for a phone I use a BB, for a tablet a Playbook, and the fugly Windows for a PC (used to use AMIGA).
So... from a geek oriented type of guy... We are gonna miss you Steve! Look at what your replacement just announced and how he did it.
Just isn't the same is it?
RIP dude, you RAWK!

mullrat says:

Turn on your google translate. Your English is SH. At least troll like your IQ is above 80.

Aandlwireless says:

Well i speak 7 different languages were my native one is German. How many different languages can you WRITE READ SPEAK? meaning my IQ must be pretty high. And i know Americans cant handle the freedom of speech. Well to bad. I say what i want when i want it.

Robert White says:

Fighting over who's phone does this or my OS does that seems pointless now doesn't it? Even though this day was expected it still hits hard. That someone none of us knew personally, maybe even didn't care for professionally, touched our lives in profound ways that we have yet to truly appreciate.
Yes I'm Android fan but I'm also a fan of technology & those who bring it to us. I think the most fitting tribute we can pay to Steve Jobs is to say a kind word & thank him for our love of technology.
Go rest high on that mountain good sir... Your work here is done.

Newyork37457 says:

Dear Steve
You have made this world a lil bit better with the thigs that you have giving us and you will be miss but never forgotten may you rest in pace and the world will never forget you
God Bless You MR JOBS

rex450se says:

If Buddy Holly's death was the day the music died, will today be the day the Mac died?

Nick Litchney says:

To try to make a positive out of such sad news, please go to pancan.org and donate to find a cure to the most devastating form of cancer there is. I will be walking in Purplestride Orange County 2011 for my father in law who passed away two years ago of this dreaded form of cancer. I know this may look like someone trying to profit from this tragedy but it is not, I am just looking for some way to make things better. To donate to my team walking the link is below, if you don't trust it (which I don't blame you if you don't) then like I said go to pancan.org and donate.

Aandlwireless says:

And swearing shows a level of low IQ. Try insulting someone smart not with swearing. Have a nice day.
Writing this from my SAMSUNG GALAXY 2 EPIC TOUCH.

Andres Prado says:

whats up with the iPhone 4s still being 3G lmao! apple your next

KiboeTheDog says:
  1. not the time to bash apple
  2. 4g isn't in every single market yet, and there is no set standard for it (each company has a different varrient, HSPA, LTE and Wimax, among others) so making it 3g would make the most sense, since this phone is going to be on multiple carriers.
Jean says:

Screw you man! I am not a fan off apple products but GOD show a little respect!
With that said I am just glad he got to see his latest baby leave the assembly plant.
RIP Steve Jobs.

d1andonly says:

He will be missed. Man, at 56 and for a guy who had everything, way too early to be gone.

Microcosmos says:

Thanks Rene for getting all of those quotes together! You're on the ball.
All of us are only here for a limited time, but some of us burn brighter and hotter than others. Steve Jobs was a shining star, leading the way for innovation. I will miss him too, but his legacy will continue.

HD says:

I am very sadden by this news. Words can not express the sadness I feel of losing such a great visionary and leader. I never thought I would feel this away about a person I have never met. You will be sorely missed by those you have touched all over the world. My condolences to Steve's family and Apple. Rest In Peace.

El Hache says:

Steve Jobs, may you rest in peace. We will all "stay hungry and stay foolish" in your memory.

Hedwig Guerra says:

RIP Steve. You will be missed, because you have made so many profound changes in our lives. Thank You. 

E$F says:

RIP Steve. You changed more than just apple. You changed lives with your creativity. No matter what everything we see and love about the mobile market comes from your ideas and a speech back in June of 2007. From that everyone has their love of their apple android windows etc products and wouldn't know what they do without them. The small things that keep us connected I contribute to you. Thanks

Ested23 says:

As myself an Android and Blackberry user. If it wasn't for Steve Jobs creativity of the touchscreen and music on the iPhone or ipod, there wouldn't be Android or touchscreen phones. God Bless Steve Jobs.
Rest in Peace. You definitely have my respect
B.D.B

Kiboe says:

actually, touch screen phones was done by IBM back in the late 80's, but Jobs made it intuitive and fun. and for that i agree, he did change the game.

Saiful Khaled says:

I think of most things in life as either a Bob Dylan or a Beatles song.
Me & my iPhone, iPad, iPod & iMac are gently weeping.

Jack says:

In related news, due to a huge surplus the local Gap in Cuppertino will be having a sale on black turtlenecks.

Adam says:

Since I couldn't find a good Steve Jobs wallpaper I made one. It has two of his (in my opinion) best quotes and a picture of Steve in the middle. It's my way to honour him.http://imageshack.us/f/59/stevejobswallpaper1280x.jpg/

James 3.0 says:

Not to burst your bubble......but Steve Jobs said this.Dont try and pass it off as your own.
Here's the original quote:"Here's to the crazy ones, the misfits, the rebels, the troublemakers, the round pegs in the square holes... the ones who see things differently -- they're not fond of rules... You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them, but the only thing you can't do is ignore them because they change things... they push the human race forward, and while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius, because the ones who are crazy enough to think that they can change the world, are the ones who do."

Leilani says:

Yeah we know, dummy. He changed it around to apply to Steve. Geez. Calm the F down.

De Swarantika says:

R.I.P Steve Jobs .. Goodbye .. May Allah Bless You Always, Amen ..

Osoc64 says:

This has nothing to do with apple or android the man was a breed of his own. we will never have another steve jobs in this life time. May he R.I.P

siddo_d says:

That's really sad, I hope he lefted inventions to keep on the apple spirt

Bps says:

Could not of said it any better

Gregory Opera says:

Steve Jobs was an amazing man, an innovator in countless industries and it is fair to say that not just ssmartphones, but also computers would not be where they are today if it was not for Steve Jobs... One of the greatest minds in computing and telecommunitcations, EVER.
Apple however, should be particularly thankful as Steve Jobs single-handedly brought them back from the brink of bankruptcy to be THE most valuable company in North America, and one of the most valuable in the entire world!
If you ask me, Apple should offer to pay for ALL of the expenses related to his death, and maybe even stream the funeral to the world...
Goodbye Mr Jobs, you will be missed.

Daniel 'Paladin' Ratcliffe says:

Former BlackBerry now Android user, disliker of iOS, but even I find this a major major loss. Remember, Steve Jobs had the ideology that he could completely change the world of phones. He had the courage to go for broke and do it. He achieved it. He led a very vivid life and was very good at what he did. As I post this from my MacBook, I send my respects to him, his family, and his friends. May you change the face of the afterlife Steve, I'm expecting something like the iPhone selling like hotcakes up there when I eventually arrive!
and to quote the RIM Facebook page to say that prove that competitors should also respect this great loss: Steve Jobs was a great visionary and a respected competitor. We extend our deepest condolences to his family and to all of the employees of Apple.

fanboy says:

iPhone 4S is "for S[teve]". Apple knew his last days were coming, and certainly could not launch iPhone 5, thus taking from the market the last iPhone Steve Jobs shaped and replace it. iPhone 4Steve is his legacy.

plunder says:

Very few individuals decide to follow their heart and do what they truly care about for all of their adult life. Steve did. His quote from the last Whole Earth Catalogue "Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish" almost describes him. No wonder he and Waz shook up the world together.
A sad day for Apple and the world, but our next day.
So - "Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish"

USA Rocks says:

No iPhone 5, no Steve Jobs, what a sad sad week.

rj5570 says:

Brings back loosing my Dad to cancer a year and half ago. We all loved Steve for what he did with Apple and giving us amazing products and his creative brilliance. But its his family that will suffer this pain for a long time. We will move on, but the pain that cancer leaves behind in its wake is bigger than Apple. I pray for the end of cancer and for all those who have suffered in death and caring for the loved ones who were taken way to early by this cruel disease.
Rest in God's Peace

moneyman says:

Out of respect for the dead. I'm selling my original Ipad, SIGNED BY STEVE JOBS for only 5000.00 on a buy it now on ebay first come first served.

ivan27stone says:

Pure Poetry. Your words are the truth.

Corps56 says:

what a great lost for the tech community

Ajay Tallam says:

A new acquaintance of mine had an interesting response..
"RIP to those workers who perished. Sorry, jobs, i've never cared for you, or your work ethic." w/ link: http://www.christianpost.com/news/steve-jobs-ignored-poisoned-workers-pl...

Tony Jabs says:

Oh man, that Stanford speech is just right on the money. I've seen it before, but it means so much more to me now.
It's like when you go to Disney World as a kid...you love it, but when you go as an adult, you can appreciate the magic of it so much more.
Rest in peace Mr. Jobs.

Anthony Poli says:

I have an idea for a way of keeping Steve close to the heart of Apple, They should add a Steve voice to IOS and Mac OS X.
He was a great showman as well as everything else and what better way for the show to go on.

Mike says:

Holy COW! I'm stunned! .... I seen a few things on the internet today but I never had the chance to actually READ anything. When I seen the header of this article I was like "WHAT!????" ..... I thought it was just a clever heading and that Steve Jobs was just retiring or something. Geese, he was only 56. What the hell did he die of????? ..... anyone know?

Gee says:

Am a BB Addict but Steve made competition better...now we are looking forward to QNX phones.....

Kyle Christopher Slingo says:

I never got to meet Steve Jobs. It was a dream of mine; I mean I looked up to the guy. I admired all the work he had done all throughout the years. Products like the iMac, iPod, iPhone and iPad all changed the world.
I have been interested in Macintosh my whole life, just could never afford it. I have had numerous iPods my whole life, but never a Macintosh. I remember when I had enough money to buy my first mac, I was ecstatic. So I went to Comp USA and purchased my first mac computer. I loved that computer, best computer I have ever had; until I sold it. I regret selling that computer, but I had to sell it to make ends meet for myself.
I would always look forward to a Steve-Note. (That’s what us apple fanatics call the Keynotes Steve lead out in) I never got the opportunity to go to one, but that’s ok because they are always recorded and are on YouTube or Apple’s website. Steve knew how to keep people’s attention because they didn’t know what was going to happen next. He also knew how to give a presentation. That is one feature I really liked about his presentations, they were not boring. He was a natural Presenter.
I would be in school and all I would think about is the presentation that was going on at apple and how I couldn’t follow it because the website was blocked. So I would wait till I got home to see what was announced and say I WANT THAT. I would watch the keynote after school and think how cool would it be to be in the auditorium and just to see people’s reactions when the products were revealed.
As I wrap up this little letter of appreciation to Steve and his family I just want to say that Steve Never gave up, he was a College dropout and he never gave up. I admire that in him. He also started a multibillion dollar company in a garage. Him and Woz were a great team.
There is one more thing I would like to say to wrap this up. This is a quote that I wrote about Steve:
Live like There's No Tomorrow. I think that Steve Jobs lived by this quote... He was one of those persons who took life that way that it was presented to him. He took one day at a time. He also thought that nothing in life was impossible. He will be missed.
Thank you.

Leharris22 says:

Truly a revolutionary innovator. Technology would not be the same without him. RIP

Cmvondoom says:

Hey!!!
DId you check out STEVE JOBS QUOTES AND TRIVIA APP on the Apple Store???
A nice way of remembering this GREAT MAN on your iOS device!!!
Check the reviews for the opinions of other people ;)
If you like it, please share it!!! :)

Joaninha says:

Hey!!!
DId you check out STEVE JOBS QUOTES AND TRIVIA APP on the Apple Store???
A nice way of remembering this GREAT MAN on your iOS device!!!
Check the reviews for the opinions of other people ;)
If you like it, please share it!!! :)

iOS Development Blog says:

Not sure if anyone is interested, However in the light of recent events on a blog I run we started a competition to win a copy of: 'Steve Jobs: The Exclusive Biography' (http://ios-blog.co.uk/iphone-development-competitions/win-a-copy-of-stev...) -
Just thought I would mention it as it appears a lot of people here might enter :)

Pages