AT&T expands FaceTime over cellular to iPhone 4S users, all tiered data plans

AT&T expanding FaceTime over cellular to 4S users, all tiered data plans

AT&T has announced that they are expanding the availability of FaceTime over cellular to all customers with a compatible iOS device, no matter what data plan they have. While some AT&T iPhone 4S users began seeing this feature back in November, AT&T did not make a statement at the time, and reports were sporadic. AT&T made the announcement today on its consumer blog:

As a result of ongoing testing, we’re announcing AT&T will enable FaceTime over Cellular at no extra charge for customers with any tiered data plan using a compatible iOS device.

This means iPhone 4S customers with tiered plans will be able to make FaceTime calls over the AT&T cellular network. AT&T previously made FaceTime over Cellular available to customers with a Mobile Share plan and those with an LTE device on tiered plans.

The feature isn’t live for all customers yet. AT&T says that they will be rolling it out over the next couple of weeks. Customers don’t need to do anything, as the update will be applied to all customers in the coming months.

Are you an iPhone 4S user on AT&T, finally glad to be getting FaceTime over 3G? Are you still irritated that you had to wait in the first place?

Source: AT&T

Joseph Keller

Joseph Keller is a news reporter for iMore. He's also chilling out and having a sandwich.

Finish for iPhone aims to help even procrastinators get their stuff done

How to manage calendar alerts on your iPhone and iPad

No1hotpapi says:

So iPhone 4S and iPhone 5 on unlimited data will get this feature to?

dBMan says:

Well the press release said tiered plans, so I'm guessing not. Which is a total crock of you-know-what.

rdstryr says:

Eventually, I would think but for now only tiered. I would assume that once the test for those individuals passes then unlimited plans will get the feature.

stephen007 says:

I don't share your optimism. I'm thinking they'll keep these extra features only for those on a tiered data plan as a way to try to convince people to get off the unlimited plan. Consider that you can only get tethering as an option if you're on a tiered plan. Facetime could be the same.

Bacco says:

No guessing required...FaceTime isn't available on the grandfathered data plans, at least not right now in NYC.

Dev from tipb says:

Data is data is data.

We'll be "glad" when carriers start acting that way and/or governments force them to act that way.

jbkilluh says:

Just called AT&T to get more information on when my iphone5 would be available to make the cellular face-time calls, and the first question they ask is "you got unlimited data?". After answering "yes" i get an abrupt, "well technically your unlimited data plan isnt a tiered plan so you wont get it, you have to change your plan".

Seriously!?! What a bunch of a-holes! if you've been a loyal customer to AT&T long enough to have the unlimited data plan, then you deserve to have freaking unlimited data! what a way to treat your legacy customers!!

Jenna Jameson says:

Solid take. This is the only reason why I have stayed with AT&T. I feel like leaving simply out of spite.

Jackasses.

AMVMommy says:

I have to agree. I've been with AT&T forever and have the grandfathered plan, so no FaceTime for me and my 4S. Feel very let down about the way they treat their loyal customers. Going to have to see if I can use it on my iPad Mini which is also on AT&T.

chippy19977 says:

I tried activating FaceTime with unlimited data and it wouldn't work. Since I don't need unlimited anymore I switched to the 3 GB plan to see if it would let me activate FaceTime and sure enough after a reboot it let me.