If Apple asked you what you wanted to see in the 2017 Mac Pro, what would you tell them?
The new Mac Pro is now... old. Apple hasn't been updated since it introduced in 2013. You read that right. Twenty. Thirteen. Since Apple didn't make it updatable either, that means everyone who bought one is also stuck in 2013. So, if Apple came to you and asked what they should do with it next, what would you tell them?
- Just update it already!
- USB C / Thunderbolt 3 ports.
- Keep a few legacy USB-A, Thunderbolt 2, HDMI, and SD card ports.
- Latest-gen Intel Xeon processors.
- Latest-gen graphics cards — that can be or are updated regularly!
- Magic Keyboard with Touch Bar and Touch ID.
- Capable of running 4x 5K displays
- Bring back the cheese-grator design!
By taking the Mac Pro and its ingeniously accessible and updatable design and turning it into an appliance that can't be updated, Apple took that responsibility onto themselves. And has since sat on it, and sat on it, and sat on it.
If they were going to cancel the Mac Pro, they could have done it years ago, like the Xserve, or this year, like the Thunderbolt display. That they haven't yet leaves hope that they're not done with it yet.
If that's true and we see a new new Mac Pro, perhaps even as soon at spring 2017, what do you hope we see? Those are just a few idea above, what are yours?