Consumers want the iPad over Kindle Fire for the holidays

In a new survey conducted by ChangeWave, consumers polled over which tablet they'll be purchasing this holiday season showed heavy demand for the Apple iPad over competing Android tablets and the Amazon Kindle Fire.

Apple continues to show enormous strength in the tablet market, where it’s enjoying the best quarter in its history, according to the survey. But while two-out-of-every-three future buyers plan on purchasing an Apple iPad (65%), for the first time since the launch of the original model, there is a double-digit contender for the number two spot. Better than one-in-five planned purchasers (22%) say they’ll buy a Kindle Fire.

Interestingly, it looks like the Kindle Fire may be eating away at Android tablet demand even though Android tablets have been on the market for some time now, which could be an added boon for Apple.

In addition, 74 percent of iPad owners are "Very Satisfied" compared to 49 percent for all other tablet makers combined. Looking at the market overall, demand for tablets in general has seen a large increase over the past few months, jumping from 6 percent of respondents to 14 percent.

With the majority of demand siding with Apple's iPad, paired with general tablet interest more than doubling in the past 90 days, it's easy to guess that Apple shouldn't have too much difficulty holding a strong position in the market through 2012.

Source: ChangeWave

Andrew Wray

Andrew Wray is a Salt Lake City, Utah based writer who focuses on news, how-tos, and jailbreak. Andrew also enjoys running, spending time with his daughter, and jamming out on his guitar. He works in a management position for Unisys Technical Services, a subsidiary of Unisys Corporation.

Daily Apps: AdventCalendar, HeadFinder, Quicky, FMA Battle, Sea Animals + Numbers

iPad Live 83: Revolutionizing

Jessica Ramos Edholm says:

Consumer want iPads over Kindle Fire...Well duh!

shadowreaperx90 says:

I think TiPb would appreciate a more thought out comment...Well duh!

Tmaleman says:

here's a more thought out comment, in the form of a similie:
asking someone if they want an iPad vs. a kindle fire is like asking them if they'd rather have a Porshe or a Camry

johncblandii says:

Umm...Kindle Fire IS Android. Why the forced separation of the two?

eahinrichsen says:

Probably because it's so heavily skinned that it's barely recognizable as Android as we're used to seeing it, and lacks core Android functions like the Android Market and Google Apps. Labeling the third category as "Other Android" would have been better for form's sake, though.

johncblandii says:

I'm cool w/ the chart. It is tablet vs tablet vs tablet. This post though separates Fire from Android though.
Skin aside, it is Android. It is sans the Google apps but they are apps [not the core].

Jeff says:

This does not surprise me one bit. Speaking from personal experience owning three tablets (Nook Color, HP TouchPad and iPad2), nothing comes close to the user experience on the iPad2. Nothing. Sure I can find some good things to say about the other two :

1. Nook Color has a nice design and is infinitely flexible if you're into (or capable of) loading custom ROMs.
  2. The HP TouchPad has a brilliant operating system in webOS. Been a huge fan of it since it launched. Great multitasking, brilliant UI and I absolutely ADORE the keyboard.

Despite those things, my iPad2 is the device I carry and use on a daily basis. The smoothness of the UI, the consistent performance, gorgeous hardware and incredible availability of apps and games make it indispensable. In short, it's the device that made me an Apple fan.
The public at large are smarter than some of these tech companies give them credit for.

chronic25 says:

The next question to ask is, "Can you justify the price difference between the $500 iPad and the $200 Kindle Fire?" Want is one thing, willingness to pay is something else entirely.

johncblandii says:

Very true. A family can buy two Fire's and a Kindle Touch for the same price of an iPad. Price matters.

grape8pe#AC says:

You're 100% correct regarding the $200 price point. It's all about affordability.

johncblandii says:

One thing I notice is within less than a month the [surveyed] demand for a Fire is 1/3 of that of the iPad.
To read the same survey another way:
Kindle Fire purchase intent already at one-third the iPad’s levelhttp://www.splatf.com/2011/11/changewave-kindle-fire/
Gotta love the press. :)

mrsFAB says:

I would rather not have a tablet at all if I could not afford the iPad 2. If I'm going to spend my hard earned money on something, it's going to be on what I really want. Not some cheaper substitute.

shadowreaperx90 says:

So you walk everywhere because you can't afford the Lamborghini you really want? Your thought pattern, ma'am, is way off reality.

mrsFAB says:

No. Don't walk. I saved MY HARD EARNED MONEY and bought the SUV I realty wanted. Did not settle regarding that either.

mrsFAB says:

TC says:

This should be know surprise,No other company can make a tablet as good as Apple

TC says:

Anton Frost says:

People who want a cheap Android Tablet, will get one. People who want a Tablet with more functionality, will buy an iPad. I'll be waiting for the iPad 3 announcement next year before I buy a Tablet.

mrsFAB says:

And I bet working the OT was totally worth it!! :)

johncblandii says:

It is heavily skinned but it is Android. Yes, Amazon states it is built on Android.
Facts can't be removed by a skin or ecosystem.

johncblandii says:

lol. It is a matter of opinion. I'm open to the ideas/reasons but facts are facts.
I think Amazon is right not to tout it as an Android tablet. By saying that you have certain expectations out of the box [Google apps, namely].