Improved multiple monitor support in OS X Mavericks; who's going to use it? [Poll]

Multiple monitor support is being improved for OS X Mavericks, but just who is going to make use of it? Currently, OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion will allow you to use multiple monitors, but things get ugly when you go full screen on an app and all you get everywhere else is linen. So, Apple is improving on how OS X handles multiple displays with Mavericks.

The linen effect in Mountain Lion is ugly — unless you like linen — and completely impractical. After all, why wouldn't you want to go full screen on something you're working on? For me, it's one of the main reasons I don't use it currently; I actually have a second Mac hooked up to an external monitor, so I just use that instead. Mavericks promises to fix this with proper full screen support for each display you're working on. There's no longer a master display and a secondary display, wherever you're working you can have a menu bar and the dock, multiple apps on any display, even use AirPlay to your Apple TV to turn your HDTV into another display for your Mac. Sounds great.

But, at the same time, it also sounds a lot like a power user feature. The sort of person who really needs a multiple display set up likely already has one. But, Mavericks could make it easier on them to set up. The thing is though, with this added functionality, will any new, perhaps more casual users start to use it? That's where you guys come in. We want to know how many of you plan on using this enhanced capability in OS X Mavericks when it lands later this year. As ever, drop a vote in the poll up top, and share your thoughts with us in the comments below!

Richard Devine

Senior Editor at iMore, part time racing driver, full time British guy

ZEN & TECH 54: Change aversion

iOS 7 preview: Sprite Kit and UIKit dynamics promise easier games, game-like apps

Chris Parsons says:

Sooo much yes! Everyday I use two monitors and thanks to this refinement, I'll be adding a third.

glenpiper says:

Oh yeah, I'll use it. That's been my biggest frustration with 10.7 & 10.8, and my only embarrassment while working on the only Mac in a Windows shop (as WinXP/7 really do handle multiple displays so much better & more logically...). It's stunning that Apple could let something that works so bad/inelegantly persist for so long...

Panama says:

Can you please tell me what brand and model your monitor is?

email4nickp says:

What is cool is using the apple tv as an external display. It works surprisingly well.

cardfan says:

Casual users..that's where you guys come in..lol Anyways, I'd definitely make use of it as I already do on windows.

Richard Devine says:

Wasn't meant like you're thinking it's meant ;-)

scalia says:

Richard, what's the weather app in the top left corner of your desktop?

Richard Devine says:

It's called Weather for Google, but for some reason it's not in my local Mac App Store any more :S

Panama says:

Richard, what brand is your monitor?

abazigal says:

I am currently using my macbook air in the classroom, and this sounds like it might be useful.

The interactive whiteboard is currently hooked up to my air as a 2nd display. I look forward to being able to run full-screen apps on my air without screwing up the 2nd display, as well as display apps in full-screen on the projector (every bit of real-estate helps).

oceanwest says:

What i would really want to see with the new desktops is actually ability to have desktop folders - so that each desktop has its OWN set of desktop folders - for instance - you can be working on two different projects - and your working files could be on the desktop when you switch you only see the folders and files related to that space.

bherrin26 says:

What brand is the external monitor in the picture associated with this article?

macharborguy says:

apparently it's not really an improvement, from the looks of it with the new Multi-monitor support, you cannot have windows extend across multiple screens. Give and take, I guess

karmski says:

I use my iMac to watch and record shows. My partner likes his big TV with Apple TV connected. We airplay the recorded video from my iMac to his TV, which currently results in me losing the use of my iMac (grey screen) - very frustrating!! I can't wait for Mavericks.

Sent from the iMore App

kingweb says:

Would be nice to be able to turn off the built in display when using external displays, instead of having to use a refrigerator magnet.

thescragster says:

Hands down, one of the best new features of OS X 10.9!