Between its charming 8-bit look, thankless challenge curve, and pared-down controls, Slayin has found a sweet spot in iOS gaming. Players only have one life to make their way through as many waves of enemies and bosses as possible, while collecting treasure along the way. Your hero is constantly moving forward, weapon drawn - all you have to do is steer them left or right, and jump when appropriate. The gold coins gathered can be spent on equipment which, with any luck, will buy you another minute or two, but ultimately everybody falls to the unrelenting hordes of fantasy monsters. Over time, your heroics earn you fame points which can be spent on unlocking new heroes and new game modes.
That’s Slayin in a nutshell, but if you need some help getting into it, we’ve got some tips to make sure you’re hacking and slashing your way to level 100.
- $0.99 - Download now
1: Get the dragon scale first
You may be tempted to spend your hard-earned Fame Points on a new hero right out of the gate, but hold that thought. The Dragon Scale, costing 5000 FP, will grant you an extra life, which will in turn increase how much fame your bring back with every round, and also stem the monotony of having to start over from scratch again.
2: Always buy armor
Survivability is your biggest challenge, so don’t skimp on armor when the opportunity arises. Meat is also available to replenish health, and though its cost increases with every serving, it’s often worth topping up. If your armor is depleted and the vendor pops up, it’s worth your while to work your way to him to get more armor.
4. Command one side of the battlefield
It’s hard to get by when you’re surrounded on all sides, so pick one edge of the screen and stay close to it. Clear out enemies as soon as they get close, and only venture across to the other half periodically. This might mean that levels take a little while longer to clear, but you’ll certainly be playing it safe. Get in the habit of a circular attack pattern: jump forwards to clear airborne enemies or avoid incoming ground obstacles, plow through a few on the ground, then head back to pick up loot and clear out any fresh spawns.
5. Know when to leave loot alone
Don’t ruin a great score multiplier and lose a bunch of health just for a few gold coins. Treasure disappears quickly, and it’s hard not to charge towards it whenever something drops, but resist temptation. The gold only really helps you to stay alive, but can only do so much in the hands of a
brave suicidal adventurer. The only real exception to this would be to go after treasure chests, but even then, it’s best to err on the side of caution.
Cheat: Get 500 Fame Points for free
After playing for awhile, you’ll get a pop-up suggesting that you rate the game and get 500 Fame Points. The thing is (and this goes for any game that tries to entice you to rate and earn in-game currency), there’s no way for them to confirm you actually rated their game. Tap “Yes, rate it”, it’ll boot you out to the App Store, but you can switch right back without having written a thing. Now, Slayin is a great game and you should leave it a nice review, but strictly speaking, it’s not required.
Finally, here’s a list of the bosses you’ll encounter and a quick look at their attacks and how to approach them.
Boss list for Slayin
- Minotaur: Leap over as he charges, then attack from behind.
- Royal Slime: Splits in two and speeds up with every attack. Clear smaller spawns before attacking larger one again.
- Imp: Teleports to either side. Fires linear fireballs at ground level, wave-path fireballs from higher.
- Peloria: Avoid sprouts and attack main body before she attacks and goes back underground.
- Death Worm: Avoid disturbed ground, attack sides after it erupts.
- Harpy: Makes diagonal, burst feather attacks, and occasional dive bomb attacks. Strike from below.
- Spectral rider: Teleports to either side while steed stomps and unleashes ground flame attack, then dismounts, flies, and flings energy attacks.
- Dragon: Breathes fireballs at ground- and mid- level, unleashes volleys of four fireballs from above. Attack when head is highest.
Your top tips, tricks, and cheats?
That's about all we've got for Slayin, but be sure to leave a comment with your thoughts on classes and general strategies for Slayin! If you haven't given it a shot, be sure to download Slayin from the App Store.
- Angry Birds Go!: Top 10 tips, tricks, and cheats!
- Bejeweled Blitz: Top 8 tips, hints, and cheats to get your highest scores ever!
- Boom Beach: Top 10 tips and tricks to defeating the Blackguards without spending tons of real cash!
- Candy Crush: Top 10 tips, tricks, and cheats!
- Candy Crush Saga: Another 10 killer help, hints, and guide to extra lives!
- Card Wars - Adventure Time: 5 tips, hints, and cheats to be the cool guy
- Clash of Clans: Top 6 tips, hints, and cheats!
- Clumsy Ninja: Top 10 tips, tricks, and cheats to train harder and level up faster!
- Cut the Rope 2: Top 10 tips, tricks, and cheats to help Om Nom beat levels and find his candy faster!
- Despicable Me: Minion Rush tips, tricks, and cheats
- Disco Zoo: Top 10 tips and tricks to help you grow your zoo as fast as possible!
- Duet Game: Top 10 tips and tricks!
- Dwarven Den: Top 10 tips, hints, and cheats to blazing a path to buried treasure!
- Family Guy: The Quest for Stuff: Top 10 tips and tricks you need to know!
- Farm Heroes Saga: Top 10 tips, hints, and cheats
- FarmVille 2 Country Escape: Top 10 tips, hints, and cheats!
- Flappy Bird: Top 5 tips, hints, and cheats
- Hay day: Top 6 tips, tricks, and cheats to save cash and grow your farm fast!
- The Hobbit: Kingdoms of Middle Earth: Top 5 tips and tricks for building an empire and forging alliances
- Minecraft Pocket Edition: Top 10 tips, hints, and cheats!
- Mini Ninjas: Top 10 tips, hints, and cheats to getting your best run possible!
- Monument Valley: Top 10 tips and tricks to help guide Ida on her journey
- Pet Rescue Saga: Top 10 tips, hints, and cheats!
- Plants vs. Zombies 2: Top 10 tips, hints, and cheats to pass levels faster
- Plague Inc.: Top 5 tips, tricks and cheats
- Real Racing 3: Top 10 tips, hints, and cheats for better cars and faster upgrades!
- The Simpsons: Tapped Out: Top 8 tips, hints, and cheats for donuts, cash, and XP!
- Slayin: Top 5 tips, tricks, and cheats
- Smash Hit: Top 10 tips, hints, and cheats to help you achieve your best distance yet!
- Tiny Death Star: Top 10 tips, hints, and cheats to crush the rebellion faster!
- Tiny Wings: Top 10 tips, hints, and cheats to help you fly higher and nest up faster!
- 2048: Top 7 tips, hints, and cheats to stack your way to a higher score!
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more.
Apple Music, Apple Arcade, App Store and more experiencing outages
A number of Apple's services, including Apple Book, iCloud Mail, Photos, and more, are currently experiencing performance issues.
iOS 14.2 hints that EarPods won't come in the box with the iPhone 12
A copy change found in the iOS 14.2 beta suggests that Apple may be removing more than just the power adapter from the iPhone 12 box.
Twitter opens up voice tweets to more iOS users
After letting a limited group of people test voice tweets in June, Twitter is now opening the option up to more iOS users.
All the limited and special edition Nintendo Switch consoles you can buy
Don't want your Nintendo Switch to look like everyone else's? These limited edition Switch consoles will stand out in a crowd—and you can buy one today.