Card Wars — Adventure Time allows iPhone and iPad players to enjoy all of the charm of the cartoon show while playing through a high fantasy strategic card game. Players take turns summoning creatures onto one of four territories, attacking with them in a reflex-driven mini-game, and defending against attackers from opposing territories.
In between, players cast spells, activate, err, floop creature powers, build structures, and initiate character-specific super powers to take out their foe. It’s a linear single-player game with a level progression not unlike Candy Crush Saga, complete with timers for how often you can play and progressively more difficult stages, but the deck-building element keeps things fresh and creative. If you’re really digging the gameplay, there’s a proper physical card game available with considerably deeper gameplay.
So, how do you do well in this cutely branded, lightly freemium card game? Well, here are some pointers to get you started off. If you’re wondering where there game’s inspiration comes from, you can watch the episode of Adventure Time here if you’ve got 10 minutes to kill.
- $3.99 - Download Now
1. Stick with one land type if you can
Nothing is worse than having one of your lanes entirely open because you aren’t able to draw a creature of a specific land type. Though having, for example, all corn fields, can make you vulnerable to certain debuffs, like the pig’s floop, it’s ultimately worth it in order to keep your lanes well-populated and protected. If you want to mitigate risk against your land type, try adopting a second, but going up to three will likely be more hassle than it’s worth.
2. Activate hero abilities as soon as possible
You get to use your hero ability every three turns, so you want to make sure to pop them as early as possible so you can put some time into the cooldown for the next one soon. Sometimes it’s not entirely practical, such as using Jake’s ability for extra magic points when you have nothing to cast or floop, but at the very least, don’t forget you have the abilities. They can often make or break a round.
3. Use your gems on chests
There are a few sneaky freemium-style timers built into Card Wars, but don’t be fooled into burning up your gems for more hearts to keep playing or to retry lost matches. Instead, use your gems to open chests and get rare cards. Though it may be easy to default to the Algebraic chest since it has higher-rarity cards, that doesn’t necessarily translate to in-game value. Once you have a few heavy-hitting creatures from an Algebraic Chest, you can probably get by on the lower-grade Cool Chest.
4. Work on three-starring earlier missions when timers get long
If you’re having a lot of trouble beating higher levels, go back to previous stages and try to complete the quests. If you can get three stars, you’ll earn gems, which are handy for earning new cards from chests, as well as level up and find new cards in regular chests. Those new cards may very well help you bust through your higher-level challenge.
5. Practice the Battle Wheel
It’s common for a lot of players to turn off the battle wheel since it’s fairly difficult to use effectively, but with practice, your timing improves and gives even the weakest creatures a chance to deflect attacks from heavy-hitters. Some players even consider this advantage as cheating, but I’d say it’s worth it. Besides, this adds a bit of twitchy excitement to the standard board game formula.
Your tips, tricks, and cheats for Card Wars?
Those are just our suggestions for getting started with card wars, but what are your strategies? How far have you made it through the campaign? Leave a comment!
- Angry Birds Go!: Top 10 tips, tricks, and cheats!
- Bejeweled Blitz: Top 8 tips, hints, and cheats to get your highest scores ever!
- Boom Beach: Top 10 tips and tricks to defeating the Blackguards without spending tons of real cash!
- Candy Crush: Top 10 tips, tricks, and cheats!
- Candy Crush Saga: Another 10 killer help, hints, and guide to extra lives!
- Card Wars - Adventure Time: 5 tips, hints, and cheats to be the cool guy
- Clash of Clans: Top 6 tips, hints, and cheats!
- Clumsy Ninja: Top 10 tips, tricks, and cheats to train harder and level up faster!
- Cut the Rope 2: Top 10 tips, tricks, and cheats to help Om Nom beat levels and find his candy faster!
- Despicable Me: Minion Rush tips, tricks, and cheats
- Disco Zoo: Top 10 tips and tricks to help you grow your zoo as fast as possible!
- Duet Game: Top 10 tips and tricks!
- Dwarven Den: Top 10 tips, hints, and cheats to blazing a path to buried treasure!
- Family Guy: The Quest for Stuff: Top 10 tips and tricks you need to know!
- Farm Heroes Saga: Top 10 tips, hints, and cheats
- FarmVille 2 Country Escape: Top 10 tips, hints, and cheats!
- Flappy Bird: Top 5 tips, hints, and cheats
- Hay day: Top 6 tips, tricks, and cheats to save cash and grow your farm fast!
- The Hobbit: Kingdoms of Middle Earth: Top 5 tips and tricks for building an empire and forging alliances
- Minecraft Pocket Edition: Top 10 tips, hints, and cheats!
- Mini Ninjas: Top 10 tips, hints, and cheats to getting your best run possible!
- Monument Valley: Top 10 tips and tricks to help guide Ida on her journey
- Pet Rescue Saga: Top 10 tips, hints, and cheats!
- Plants vs. Zombies 2: Top 10 tips, hints, and cheats to pass levels faster
- Plague Inc.: Top 5 tips, tricks and cheats
- Real Racing 3: Top 10 tips, hints, and cheats for better cars and faster upgrades!
- The Simpsons: Tapped Out: Top 8 tips, hints, and cheats for donuts, cash, and XP!
- Slayin: Top 5 tips, tricks, and cheats
- Smash Hit: Top 10 tips, hints, and cheats to help you achieve your best distance yet!
- Tiny Death Star: Top 10 tips, hints, and cheats to crush the rebellion faster!
- Tiny Wings: Top 10 tips, hints, and cheats to help you fly higher and nest up faster!
- 2048: Top 7 tips, hints, and cheats to stack your way to a higher score!
Master your iPhone in minutes
iMore offers spot-on advice and guidance from our team of experts, with decades of Apple device experience to lean on. Learn more with iMore!
Editor-at-very-large at Mobile Nations, gamer, giant.