Have an iPhone, iPod touch and iPad, or any combination of iOS devices and curious how to manage just what music, apps and videos get synced to which device? Apple has posted a handy tip on doing just that. Check it out after the break!
Let's say you want your podcasts only on your iPod touch, your games only on your iPad, and your getting things done stuff only on your iPhone? (Or any combination of music, TV shows, podcasts, apps, games -- you get the idea.) It even works if you have a lot of devices, like separate iPod touches for all the kids. There's no limit to the number you can sync, so here's what you do:
- Plug your iPhone, iPod touch or iPad into iTunes via the USB dock cable.
- Find it listed under Devices in the left sidebar and click on it.
- Go through the tabs on the top of the iTunes window and select the music, movies, apps, podcasts, etc. you want to sync. (Bonus tip: the big, colorful capacity gauge at the bottom keeps track of how much space you have left so you can't add more than your device can handle.)
- Your selection can include none, all/automatic, or just the exact content you wish.
- Repeat with all your (or your family's) devices.
iTunes will remember the individual settings for all your iPhones, iPads and iPod touch and never confuse them so you get just the content you want on exactly the device you want. Every time you sync the content will get updated with whatever new media and apps you've purchased and selected and you can change your selections any time your device is plugged in via the tabs.
If you're using iTunes to manage multiple devices let us know what tips you've come up with to make your life a little easier. And if you have any questions leave them in the comments!
Tips of the day will range from beginner-level 101 to advanced-level ninjary. If you already know this tip, keep the link handy as a quick way to help a friend. If you have a tip of your own you'd like to suggest, add them to the comments or send them in to email@example.com. (If it's especially awesome and previously unknown to us, we'll even give ya a reward...)