Apple releases iTunes 10.5.1, launches iTunes Match in the US

Apple releases iTunes 10.5.1, launches iTunes Match in the US [Updated]

Apple has released iTunes 10.5.1 and along with it, their paid music locker service in the U.S., iTunes Match. Coming after several extended betas, and past the previously announced October time frame, iTunes Match costs 24.99 a year and allows users to scan their iTunes libraries and either gain access to matching, 256kbps tracks from the iTunes Catalog, or upload their own, off-catalog tracks for access from any iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or iTunes client on Mac or Windows.

Introducing iTunes Match. Store your entire music library in iCloud, including music you've imported from CDs, and enjoy your collection anywhere, anytime, on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, computer, or Apple TV.

So if you've been eagerly waiting to get your music to the cloud, hit software update or download directly via the link below. Then come back here and tell us what you think. Did Apple get it right?

UPDATE 1: iTunes is currently saying no new subscriptions are available due to overwhelming demand, and is asking users to check back in a hour. Let us know if you get signed up, and how long it takes!

UPDATE 2: Here's our official TiPb iTunes Match troubleshooting thread in the forums to give and get extra help!

iPad Live 82: The Nook hook

Stock Talk 01: Bell Ringing

Beastcmg says:

WTH I just installed beta3 Sunday

Eltunerneon says:

shame it wont work here on mexico. hope does really soon

ImJohnHime says:

Interesting, neither Software Update nor iTunes (Update Software) picks up on the 10.5.1 version. iTunes tells me 10.5 is the current release.
Anyone know if I download 10.5.1 from the iTunes page and install over my existing 10.5 will it blow away my settings?

Ip.fanboy says:

It doesn't allow me to install the iTunes match... it says i have to try it in 1 hour....

Frank Tha Tank says:

I think I'll be in your boat, I have like 30K songs.

Frank Tha Tank says:

How do you access your songs/itunes through your phone? Do you still use the music app or the itunes app?

Oscar says:

Apple releases itunes...readers my co-worker's half-sister makes $72/hr on the laptop. She has been laid off for 6 months but last month her paycheck was $8741 just working on the laptop for a few hours. Read about it on this web site http://bit.ly/pVhh1F

David Zion says:

i've downloaded it and looks like I subscribed ok, i've only got 3400 songs of which it seems to be "Matching" 3366", its been running for a while now, and the option on the iphone to turn match on or off keeps disappearing everytime I sync, so i'm just gonna wait for the whole thing to finish, and then try it on my phone.

fastlane says:

I'm into it. But I'm gonna wait for TiPb's feedback first.

Awhatnot says:

I just got iTunes 10.5.1 tough the apple.com download, no problems, signed up and took my money no problem. I'm on a work computer and all my music seems to be showing up. Lets see if this works!

fastlane says:

My guess is that they're downloaded into your music app for as long as you subscribe, just as if you'd bought them from Apple. But, once you discontinue the iTunes Match service, you lose the song in the cloud and your ripped one remains in iTunes.
Is this right?

Werich44 says:

Anyone know how iTunes Match will handle songs downloaded years ago from Napster?

fastlane says:

As long as those songs are in your iTunes Library, they should match too... and with better quality.

Plasmanut says:

How about Canada? When can we expect this?

Redshirt says:

I wonder if the music companies are having a cow over all the money they're "losing" from this yet.

Emilio Diamond-Ortiz says:

Ive been using the Beta for a few weeks. Few things. You can listen to your songs while they are downloading so not a "true" streaming solution. Also your library better be in good shape (ID3 tags, album art, etc.) because iTunes will not match anything that is not. I had a hard time with multiple libraries(one at home and one at work). I uploaded things twice. and a few times it would say that the tracks were there. But, i could not download them. It also does not give you a reason why some of the track were not matched. I wish it would give you a report at the end that would tell you what was not matched and why. It would give the user the opportunity to fix the problems. It still has a lot of potential. But, needs work.

Savea Dollardad says:

I have been waiting for iTunes update, Now if people wanted to take advantage of $25 a Month Advertising http://tinyurl.com/6oh9n2f for their iPhone or iPad app or accessory, iTunes would be a lot better with stronger firmware

Savea Dollardad says:

Voucher says:

Were you able to sign up without using a credit card? How did you do that? I seem to have to fill in credit card information even though I'm using gift cards. Your help is appreciated!

Patrick Sweeney says:

I was able to sign up with Pay Pal.

Mackattack57973 says:

if you subscribe with less than 25000 songs but reach the 25k limit during your subscription are you just kicked off?

fastlane says:

From what I understand, it just won't let you have access. You'll have to create another playlist for use with iCloud with 2,500 songs or less. If you have a playlist with 2,501 songs you won't be able to match even 1 song.

Sterbuck says:

Idk but kuddos to you for having a working 1980's CD

RC46 says:

I'm not at all impressed. I had less than a 50% match rate and 100% of my music is bought and paid for. I also have about 2500 songs that I ripped from my vinyl collection using a USB turntable. Every single tag on every song was correct yet Itunes could not match a single one of those songs. I would say that the program is badly flawed.

RC46 says:

RC46 says:

Its simple. They just don't match them. Anything that is even slightly rare will not be matched.

RC46 says:

mrd1016 says:

Loving iTunes Match right now! Working great so far. I really like having the option of listening to any song from my library being I couldn't fit it all on my iPhone or iPad. One thing I'd like to see is some limitation options to prevent my hard storage from eventually filling up. Maybe a 'delete after 30 days of being played' or 'delete oldest download when exceeding xxGB of music'.

OrionAntares#CB says:

Sounds like a deal breaker to me considering iTunes' security track record.

Adam S. says:

I have a question. Because of the amount of music I have, I have an external harddrive plugged in to my laptop when I open iTunes. Does subscribing to this eliminate the need to save my own music on my harddrive?

tmeyn says:

Have you found an answer for this yet?