Apple rumored to be improving fast Camera access in iOS 5.1

Apple rumored to be changing fast Camera access in iOS 5.1

The current method for fast camera access in iOS 5 might soon be changing into a faster camera access in iOS 5.1, according to Blog do iPhone. The existing method involves double-clicking the Home button and tapping the Camera icon to quickly switch to the Camera app. That's 3 actions and a weight for a separate app to launch or come to the foreground. The new method is a gesture -- a slide up to reveal an embedded camera. That's 1 action and no wait for a separate app. You just side and shoot.

They're only showing pictures of the supposedly new user interface, so it's hard to tell how it feels in implementation. If accurate, Apple would have to give it enough traction and timeout so you can't accidentally reveal the camera in your purse or pocket, and leave it on to drain the battery.

Likewise, since fast camera access bypasses the passcode lock, hopefully Apple will add a Settings toggle to disable it when and if you want to, like for when your prankster friend is visiting and tries to photo bomb you.

iOS 5.1 has been in developer beta for a long while now, with current guestimates pegging its release sometime in March to coincide with the iPad 3 release.

Source: Blog Do iPhone

More: iPhone photography starters guide, iPhone photography projects, iPhone photography forums

Plan your big day with Wedding Planner for iPad

Mobile Nations fitness month: Week 3! [iPad 3 + Xbox Kinect giveaway]

Inappropriate Response says:

i wonder now tim is in charge, if we will see faster iterations of ideas.

Jerod says:

Thats 2 actions, not one. Home button to see screen, then slide camera up. So it really isn't much better than now. I like the way it is now. Oh well.

arin.failing says:

well potentially... but he's referring to an already turned on screen. so it would go from 3 actions to 1.

rbaumannerb says:

It would be great if they would also allow us to change the camera app too!

rewNATION says:

they should worry about more important issues; not how to get to the camera faster

cosby01 says:

I don't know if I'd count a double tap on the home button as two separate actions. Do you count the double-click on the Mac trackpad as two separate actions?

Bralyn Fagel says:

I was excited when I first heard of Apple's plans to incorporate a quicker way to take photos in iOS 5, yet the length of time it took to load the camera was disappointing. I'm glad Apple is trying to remedy the situation, hopefully the embedded camera will be much quicker.

Dev says:

And this is where the fun begins. As a response to the absurd patent on slide to unlock, Google has filed for a patent on sliding to a target to unlock and perform a particular action. If this patent is granted, it seems pretty likely this fast camera method would be in violation. It probably should not be granted, but, then again, if a regular slide to unlock gesture can be given a patent, it is possible. Google would then have every legal right to target the iPhone, as Apple has targeted Android.
Ridiculous? Absolutely. But this is end game of the silly patent filings/litigation war Apple has started; other players are going to start filing their own silly patents, and asserting them against Apple. It is only a matter of time before something sticks, and we are back at Mutually Assured Destruction, with only the lawyers, not consumers or producers, benefitting.

egcruzer says:

Why not always have the camera icon there when I wake from sleep? even better have the ipod controls there as well. or let me load my favorite app instead of the camera app.

mikelite says:

still not as fast as Marc Valliant's Snappy & Activator. Snappy's the main reason I have to be jailbroken.

arin.failing says:

i don't really ever use my camera... photography just isn't my thing. so having the camera ever present would just annoy me. i think their iteration is just fine; just allow it to load faster for those who love photography and would like the app to be available instantly.

drjb says:

All I got to say is one word Cameralocker in cydia and no double tapping for the camera from lock screen!!!!

nadya says:

Eleanor is soooo cute! I love how your fam always looks so happy plyaing together:) She's going to have the best photo album to look at when she gets older! Happy Halloween!