The built-in Voice Memo app can be handy for recording lengthy thoughts or instructions. After finishing your Voice Memo you can easily share it with someone else as an iMessage or SMS. Once they receive it they'll be able to play it directly through the Messages app.
How to send a voice memo through iMessage on iPhone and iPad
- Launch the Voice Memo app on your iPhone or iPad.
- Tap on the voice memo you'd like to send in order to expand it.
- Tap on the Share button.
- Now tap on the Message icon.
- Type in the name of the person you'd like to send it to and select them.
- Now tap on the Send button.
If the recipient isn't using an iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad, but another smartphone like Android, BlackBerry, Windows Phone, or even a feature phone, they won't be able to receive an iMessage but might get the file anyway as an MMS message. If they do, whether or not they can play the audio will depend on what kind of file formats their device supports. (Voice Memo files are in .m4a -- or mp4 audio format.)