How to manually control when Siri listens to you with iOS 7.1

How to manually control when Siri listens to you with iOS 7.1

Ever had a time where you're using Siri and your iPhone or iPad doesn't stop listening when you want it to? Maybe someone else is talking or there's noise in the background, but you're done and the wave form just won't stop. Luckily iOS 7.1 solves that problem by letting you control not only when Siri starts but it stops as well!

How to hold down the Home button to control when Siri stops listening

1. Press and hold down the Home button on your iPhone or iPad to start Siri listening.
  2. Keep holding down the Home button and speak your request to Siri.
  3. Release the Home button to stop Siri listening.

How to manually control when Siri listens to you with iOS 7.1

That's all there is to it. Instead of pressing the Home button just to activate Siri, You're holding it down the entire time you're talking to Siri.

Try it out and let me know how it works for you!

Allyson Kazmucha

Editor for iMore, Potter pundit, and the ninja in your iOS

iOS 7.1: What did it fix for you and what's still broken?

Shaq spends $1,000 a week on iPhone apps!

Oscar_thegrouch says:

That's not working for me. It takes just as long for it to stop listening. I went into Siri's setting and theres no option to enable that, that I see.

Kevin Thompson5 says:

All you do is just tap the screen when you've finished speaking. Easy as that

stephen007 says:

Not working for me either. In fact, holding in the button and letting go when you are done talking takes LONGER than just using Kevin's suggestion of tapping the screen. THAT suggestion is a really good one!

bunkscene says:

This same thing happens to me. I don't notice any difference.

93Aero says:

I'm hoping the Home button can withstand all the interaction, every time I use it to change screens or activate Siri, I swear I can feel it getting weaker.

I know its not going to happen but if the top button could be used to activate Siri by pressing it twice quickly, at least that way the use and abuse is balanced out between two buttons instead of one.

timswork says:

That's always a fear, isn't it, that the home button will become non-responsive. I've seen it happen with both the home button and the sleep/wake button on top. Granted, it's been a couple generations of devices when I seen it happen, and supposedly Apple has put a stronger build into the buttons; and any problems will be taken care of with AppleCare+ (device replacement).

Do iPhone/iPad buttons become non-responsive anymore, with high levels of usage, or is this still a real problem?

Ipheuria says:

This is why I use the accessibility setting to decrease my home button usage. It gives me an on screen home button and also a way to activate Siri.

93Aero says:

I'm sure it's glaring obvious, but how does one do this? I've checked and do see what you're saying.

GlennRuss says:

Thanks for all the tips with 7.1. Really like this version of iOS. Now if they would add airdrop to the MacBook Pro.

Sent from the iMore App

larryganz says:

I want to be able to use Siri the old way too - sometimes I need to be as hands free as possible, and in a quiet room or car I want to activate Siri and not have to keep my hands on the phone. I don't mind if I have to wait for Siri to determine that I'm done.

As long as I can tell Siri with a quick press of a button "send a text message to Jane doe, I cannot be there until 5pm so call me back since I'm driving", then I am happy. I cannot find out anywhere if the old way still works. So, does it?

Allyson Kazmucha says:

Still works that way too.

Sent from the iMore App

BBFunGuy says:

Not sure if this is an improvement, but now it works the same as SayIt on BlackBerry, should be less confusing.

IIJBII says:

I'll have to give this a shot. To be honest, I hardly ever use Siri. I'm going to make an effort to use the feature more.

Sent from the iMore App

kataran says:

I use Siri for almost everything the more you use it the better it gets as it learns from you as long as you don't toggle it off and on in the settings as that will reset what she learned

Also don't forget to fill out as much personal info in your contact the more Siri knows about you the better

Sent from the iMore App

Eric Mason 0321 says:

You have always been able to manually stop Siri by just tapping the screen. That's a lot better than holding the button down.

Sent from the iMore App

Allyson Kazmucha says:

Not if you're driving and don't want to keep looking at the screen.

Sent from the iMore App

pebacher says:

Thanks for this hint. How do I control Siri when using a bluetooth headset? I use a Plantronics Voyager Legend.