Updated: It's Live! Universal iPhone/iPod touch 3.1.2 Jailbreak Tool blackra1n for Mac OS X Coming Soon

blackra1n

UPDATED: According t live:

When George Hotz released his all iPhone/iPod 3.1.2 jailbreak application for Windows, blackra1n, he was unsure whether or not he would write a Mac OS X version. According to a recent post on Twitter it seems as if he's had a change of heart.

blockquote>blackra1n for mac coming soon...actually reuses code...NSRunAlertPanel causing crashes...and can anyone blackify the purplera1n mac icon?

It would be nice if this upcoming Mac version includes an exploit for the new bootrom but the probability of that happening is highly unlikely. For the latest news and tips for jailbreaking/unlocking your iPhone, visit our iPhone Jailbreak/Unlock forums.

Jeremy

Community editor. Tech enthusiast. All-around geek.

Apple Breaks Jailbreak in Newly Shipped iPhone 3GS Devices

Quick WebApp: Google Wave Goes Full Screen for iPhone

Donny says:

Hey the site is all weird now. I browse on my iPhone and if seems that it has an extra page or something could u please fix this ,or instruct me on how to fix it

Richard says:

Nope...it's happening to me also.

Rene Ritchie says:

No problem on my end, what trouble are you experiencing? Could you try hitting the "refresh" button an let me know if it's still there?

Andy says:

I like how it looks like now

Jose says:

I have tipb on my 3gs home screen. If it continues to have to bs contact, rss et at the top of the page tomorrow I'm removing it. I have it there for quick headlines, not to scroll pages to get the info I want

Muero says:

blackra1n for Mac is now live!

Muero says:

iPhone-formatted TiPB is working fine on my iPhone.

Stan The Man says:

So George Hotz was able to jailbreak 3.1.2 for all iPhones in a couple of days and Dev-Team still hasn't released a Windows pwnage tool? Will George's MAC tool beat them again? It starting to look more and more like Dev-Team are Windows haters. Just my opinion.
PS: Way to go George Hotz. "Ferris Bueller you're my hero".

D. Murray says:

I can't wait, I hope the jailbrake has tethering

iphone4idiots says:

I used PwnageTool today and wouldn't think of using blackra1n although GeoHot is amazing. He tweeted about learning objective C today. However, the Dev Team has a better product IMO. Yes, it took me 20 minutes, but its a better jailbreak. That said, I'll put my money of GeoHot jailbreaking the first "new" iPhone 3GS.
And you know they will :)

Al says:

Does universal jailbreak mean that all future versions of iPhone OS can be jailbroken this way?

Tom says:

could someone clearly layout the steps involved in jailbreaking an iPhone with a pc. I realise I'm a n00b. thanks in advance!

Joe McG says:

@iphone4ediots
Please define "better jailbreak". I have used redsnow in the past and used blackrain this time The phone is much more responsive now and battery is as strong as pre-jailbreak. I understand that you may have an allegiance to the dev team, but their jailbreak is not better.
Just callin it like it is

Rohit says:

Here's a complete tutorial on how to jailbreak your iPhone firmware 3.1.2 using blackra1n for MAC! http://retwt.me/UGSH

Billy says:

I didn't bother with jailbreaking.. I just purchased mine factory unlocked from JAB Cellular (http://www.jabcellular.com) I absolutely love it!

rr4him says:

If I do the blackra1n for MAC, can I go back if i need to take my phone in to ATT or Apple for some reason? I really want to give this a try but I am nervous. I have a 3gs that I purchased about a month ago. It is running 3.1.2 and has the most current baseband which I know takes away any unlocking at this point. Unlocking is not a desire, just the jailbreak which would allow me to run my slingbox over 3g. Thanks for any advise!

Tenor146 says:

@Billy
It's time to stop trolling blogs promoting your own company. Get a life.

usmc says:

I don't like jailbreak. It slows everything down.

t0m says:

@Randy you can always restore to non-jb. And be assured, any future update will take care of it for you as well.

t0m says:

@iphone4idiots
To say Pwnage jailbreak is better is a little ridicilous and shows a lack of knowledge on the matter. Why? Because they use the same exploit to jailbreak the 3.1.2 fw.
Only differences are having Cydia packages pre-installed and the customized firmware(boot logos, etc.) Which really are not part of the jailbreak anyway.

t0m says:

@USMC
That's an old wive's tale. Only JB apps running may slow down your processes. It also doesn't change your battery life.

Rezurexion7 says:

Hey guys. My name is iris. The issue I am having is with my 3g, ever since I blackra1ned my phone 2 nights ago. I have an iPhone 3g, and for some reason the 3g is crashing I either have to restart the phone several times a day or turn off the 3g and turn it back on. Also, I am not able to use mywi but I figure that it just may not be able to run 3.1.2... Any ideas to why my 3g is crashing on me? It's rather annoying to have to reboot upto 4 times in an hr.
Iris
(Rezz7)

Abraham says:

someone please give me the firmware link

jeSSIEie says:

does this jailbreak ipod touch 2nd gen 3.1.2? coz when i dd it it ddnt turn on it just left a white blank space....

shawn says:

ok will someone please tell me if this works because EVERYBODY is talking about IPHONE,IPHONE IPHONE what about ITOUCH 3G because I had alot BEFORE THIS HAPPENED im tired of blogs with people not telling the truth!!! geohot WILL YOU PLEASE MAKE A SEPERATE JAILBREAK FOR IPOD TOUCH!!! and because of this now I lost ALL my stuff NO MORE IPHONE stuff
again PLEASE MAKE A SEPERATE JAILBREAK...buecause THIS IS RIDICULOUS!!!

Joe says:

Is there a way to not have it tethered? its annoying to have to use the computer to turn on the Touch

darshak says:

i hav a iphone3gs.3.1.2.v ersion.i hav a prblm in running blackrain.it shows waiting for device bt thn shows Asl.dll error n doesnt run.pls help me