Monument Valley: Top 10 tips, hints, and cheats to guide Ida on her journey
Monument valley strategy guide: How to help Ida overcome all the obstacles in every single chapter!
In Monument Valley you'll guide Ida, the silent princess, through many levels that are filled with optical illusions, mysterious Crow people, and more. Each time you get Ida to her goal, you'll unlock another chapter. Along the way you get to enjoy the breathtaking visuals and an eery story line. However, if you've gotten stuck or just want some tips and tricks to help you get Ida where she needs to be, that's where iMore comes in. Here are our top tips and tricks for guiding Ida through Monument Valley!
1. Perception is everything
Monument Valley is a world full of nothing but optical illusions. It isn't about what you're looking at and more of how you look at it. That being said, if you find yourself stuck on an obstacle, be sure you're looking at it from all angles. Sometimes a staircase or a connection is made at one angle that completely disappears from view in another.
2. Start each level off by exploring the landscape
One of the first things you should do before moving Ida around too much is explore around you. If there are things you can rotate and move, check them out before deciding what is the best course to steer Ida on. Make note of any switches as well. You can't interact with these but Ida can. It's typically a good idea to make that your first goal, get Ida to any objects only she can interact with.
3. Use pulleys and switches to your advantage
There are some chapters in which Crow people will attempt to undo switches that you've pressed the second you step off of them. In these kinds of scenarios you have to find a way to stop them. Typically that comes in the form of a pulley or barricade that you can hold just long enough to divert them. Then timing becomes key.
4. If a level rotates, lay a path out in front of Ida
Going back to tip number one, the most important thing to remember about rotating obstacles is that they're based more on how you perceive them. Make note of what stairways connect where when you rotate the level. Then figure out the best way to get Ida from point A to point B.
5. If you can't see Ida, that move won't work
A good rule of thumb to remember is that if Ida is out of view, you probably can't make a move at that perspective — at least not until you move Ida around a bit. The best rule to follow is that if you're trying to get Ida around a tight corner or plan another move, make sure she's always in view. That means whatever you're planning will work.
6. Crows are all about timing and trickery
Crows are for lack of a better term, harmless. They do however get in the way a lot. Sometimes it takes a bit of trickery and timing to get around them. For the most part this can be done by timing your taps to move Ida around them. If there is a persistent Crow person, you may have to try and find a way to block them off before bringing Ida into the thick of things. Most of the time there's a section of monument that can be raised to obstruct their paths.
7. Learn cranks and rotation devices at the beginning of a level
If you see cranks or other mechanisms that let you manipulate the landscape, get to know them at the beginning of the level. This will save you a lot of time moving Ida back and forth. Sometimes certain cranks are unusable if you step off certain areas or on to others. Learning those early on can help you figure out how to best move around them and utilize them to your advantage.
8. Look for patterns and behaviors
Going with tip number 7, make sure you're watching for patterns, whether it be the path a Crow person takes or how a crank and lever responds to you pushing it. In some instances you have to have weight or another object to counter balance. Knowing this early on can again save you some moves. In levels with totem poles, always be sure to evaluate what the totem pole can help you reach before moving around too much.
9. Not sure if a move is possible? Give it a try!
If you aren't sure if somewhere is even accessible at all, try tapping the screen. If you can move there, the dot will have a white glow around it. If you can't, there's no white glowing ring. Testing your theory first is a good way to prevent wasting time trying to get somewhere you can't even go in the first place.
10. You can't get stuck, ever
The best part of Monument Valley is that you can never put yourself in a situation you can't get out of. That's exactly the way the game was designed. If you ever reach a dead end, just turn around and try again. No need to restart levels or worry about whether a move is going to ruin how far you've progressed already. Just retrace your steps to where you got stuck and try, try again!
Your Monument Valley tips?
If you're currently playing Monument Valley, let me know what you think of it in the comments as well as any tips and tricks you have to offer up! And if you want, let me know how far you've gotten too!
- Angry Birds Go!: Top 10 tips, tricks, and cheats!
- Bejeweled Blitz: Top 8 tips, hints, and cheats to get your highest scores ever!
- Boom Beach: Top 10 tips and tricks to defeating the Blackguards without spending tons of real cash!
- Candy Crush: Top 10 tips, tricks, and cheats!
- Candy Crush Saga: Another 10 killer help, hints, and guide to extra lives!
- Card Wars - Adventure Time: 5 tips, hints, and cheats to be the cool guy
- Clash of Clans: Top 6 tips, hints, and cheats!
- Clumsy Ninja: Top 10 tips, tricks, and cheats to train harder and level up faster!
- Cut the Rope 2: Top 10 tips, tricks, and cheats to help Om Nom beat levels and find his candy faster!
- Despicable Me: Minion Rush tips, tricks, and cheats
- Disco Zoo: Top 10 tips and tricks to help you grow your zoo as fast as possible!
- Duet Game: Top 10 tips and tricks!
- Dwarven Den: Top 10 tips, hints, and cheats to blazing a path to buried treasure!
- Family Guy: The Quest for Stuff: Top 10 tips and tricks you need to know!
- Farm Heroes Saga: Top 10 tips, hints, and cheats
- FarmVille 2 Country Escape: Top 10 tips, hints, and cheats!
- Flappy Bird: Top 5 tips, hints, and cheats
- Hay day: Top 6 tips, tricks, and cheats to save cash and grow your farm fast!
- The Hobbit: Kingdoms of Middle Earth: Top 5 tips and tricks for building an empire and forging alliances
- Minecraft Pocket Edition: Top 10 tips, hints, and cheats!
- Mini Ninjas: Top 10 tips, hints, and cheats to getting your best run possible!
- Monument Valley: Top 10 tips and tricks to help guide Ida on her journey
- Pet Rescue Saga: Top 10 tips, hints, and cheats!
- Plants vs. Zombies 2: Top 10 tips, hints, and cheats to pass levels faster
- Plague Inc.: Top 5 tips, tricks and cheats
- Real Racing 3: Top 10 tips, hints, and cheats for better cars and faster upgrades!
- The Simpsons: Tapped Out: Top 8 tips, hints, and cheats for donuts, cash, and XP!
- Slayin: Top 5 tips, tricks, and cheats
- Smash Hit: Top 10 tips, hints, and cheats to help you achieve your best distance yet!
- Tiny Death Star: Top 10 tips, hints, and cheats to crush the rebellion faster!
- Tiny Wings: Top 10 tips, hints, and cheats to help you fly higher and nest up faster!
- 2048: Top 7 tips, hints, and cheats to stack your way to a higher score!