In Monument Valley, you're tasked with guiding Ida, the silent princess, through strange and beautiful lands by solving challenging puzzles. The new expansion pack, Forgotten Shores features eight brand new appendixes for you to explore and work your way through. To find solutions and outsmart the mischievous Crow People, however, you'll have to learn to look at things differently. If you get stuck, that's where iMore comes in. Follow along for a step by step walkthrough of the first four chapters of the Forgotten Shores expansion pack.
Monument Valley tips, hints, and cheats
If you'd rather figure Monument Valley out on your own, you can check out our general gaming guide insead:
If you're stuck on a particular level, continue on for a detailed walkthrough on the first four chapters.
Appendix i: The Chasm
- Start by walking Ida down to the first door. The stairway will fall apart before you reach it and drop you off onto a lower level.
- Again walk as far as Ida can, with the walkway crumbling behind her. You will end up in front of a chain pulley mechanism that you can hold and move. Slide the pulley to the side Ida is on and then walk on top of it so you can cross to the other side.
- Repeat the same process with Ida underneath the pulley on the lower level.
- Tap the bottom of the path by the doorway. You will end up facing a roadblock that blocks your path. Instead tap at the top of the curved area. The path will again move and lower you down.
- Walk down as far as you can. You will see a door but won't be able to get to it as your path will crumble. A yellow totem pole will appear. Move it all the way to the right and Ida will be able to move on top of it. Move the totem pole with Ida still on top of it all the way to the far left to press the floor switch that has appeared.
- Flipping the first switch is easy business. Use the crank that appears to rotate the walkway so you can move across it. Go all the way to the right side of the board as shown below and rotate the crank again so you can move to left side.
- Hit the switch at the top of the stairs in order to drop a path on the lower level that. You can now get your totem friend to the top level. The goal here is to get the totem on the first switch, not the one at the top of the stairs. Use the crank to rotate the totem around to the other side. Once it's on the first switch, a door will appear that Ida can go through. The platform will turn upside down to reveal another switch, just move the totem to the newly revealed switch to elevate to the next section.
- The next section is an optical illusion. Just keep rotating the platforms until you can keep moving the totem upwards.
- After you hit the first switch, Ida will appear. Go ahead and hit the next switch up the stairs with Ida. After that you can hop onto the totem in order to hit the next switch.
- The totem will elevate to the end of the level.
Appendix ii: The Serpent Lake
- Start by walking to the first switch. It will make rotation handles appear at the bottom. You can then turn these in order to create curved paths. Before rotating anything, navigate Ida back down to the bottom where she started.
- Now rotate towards the left to create a curved path to the next switch. Climb to the top to reach the next switch and elevate to the next section.
- Before rotating, move idea into the position in the first photo in the set below. Next rotate the switch to create a clear path like in the second photo in the set below.
- Next, rotate back and forth to finish the path to the switch. Once you hit the switch, the level will flip again.
- Use the exact same strategy as you did in the previous set in order to work your way around towards the center and the door.
- In the next section, move upwards as far as you can and then rotate over so you can make your way back down to hit the second switch.
- All the pillars will spiral. Walk up the left spiral and down the curved path to the next switch. A door will be revealed that you can get to by rotating and coming down the right hand front spiral. You can then complete the level.
Appendix iii: The Thief
- Hit the first switch at the top of the stairs to swivel the Crow Person around and enter through the door. You will be thrown off into another part of the level.
- Notice that Ida is now missing her hat. Use the lever and keep turning it to the right in order to reveal the Crow Person and guide them to the first switch. You can now guide Ida to the second switch.
- Now use the level to guide the Crow Person to the third switch which will reveal a staircase. Step off the switch when the Crow Person is over the green area so you trap them on top and have a clear path to the door.
- Guide Ida to the first switch by raising and lowering the green platform. This will in turn move her across on the red platform. Once you hit the switch, the red platform will be able to be raised and lowered. Move Ida to the second switch that appeared while and guide the Crow Person onto the red platform.
- Next trap the Crow Person temporarily on the lone platform where the first switch was. While you do this, you can guide Ida to the top. Once Ida is safe towards the top, use the Crow Person to hold down the second switch to reveal the door.
- Use the red staircase in order to help Ida reach the first switch.
- You can then guide the Crow Person with the red staircase to the first switch while positioning Ida on the green stars along the left. Once the Crow Person reaches the switch, Ida will be able to pass through to the next section.
- Climb the stairs and follow the platforms across. This section isn't hard, it's just a matter of timing.
- Towards the middle of the course you'll need to raise up the yellow platform and stand on the switch. A purple platform will appear that you can use to trap the final Crow Person that stands between you and the next door.
- The next section is the last but not so fast. Ida can't complete the level without her hat. Walk towards the last platform in order to help Ida realize she needs to find her hate. The view will then zoom out to reveal the Crow Person. Make them hit the first switching using the green movable platform.
- Move Ida to switch shown in the first photo below. You'll want to use the crank to trap the Crow Person on the single pink platform as shown in the second photo in the set.
- Once the Crow Person is trapped in the middle, move Ida to the switch at the top of the stairs. The steam will blow Ida's hat off the Crow Person's head.
- Quickly move Ida underneath the hat, she will catch it. Then go to the top of the platform to complete the section.
Appendix iv: Halcyon Court
- The crank at the top controls where water flows. Rotate it in the position shown below in order to extend Ida's walkway.
- Move Ida as far as she can go. Keep moving the water flow in order to extend the walkway. This will get you to the first door of the section.
- Walk Ida around to the back of the level in order to hit the first switch. This will reveal levers at the top to control the water level. Push all levers up to bring the water level down to the bottom. You can now reach the next switch.
- Use the lever that appears to clear the front walkway.
- Move back to the first switch to reveal the water levers again. Raise the water level two levels like shown in the first image below. You can then make your way to the next switch around the front.
- You can then raise the water level the rest of the way in order to reach the next door.
- The next section is rather easy and only involves rotating until you can clear a path. So simply walk Ida up the stairs and then rotate to connect a path so you can reach the end. After you speak, simply follow the same path you used to get up in order to get back down to the door that appears.
- Hit the switch in the first image below in order to reveal a crank. Rotate the platform so you can make it to the next switch. After you hit it, another crank will appear on the other side. Don't move Idea and rotate the crank to complete more of the path as shown in the second image below.
- Now move Ida back to the first switch you hit in order to reveal the first crank again. This time finish aligning the path before moving off the switch. Once you do, you can climb to the top of the stairs and hit the final switch to release the water.
- Once the path is completed, Ida can safely make her way to the checkpoint in Halcyon Court.
To be continued...
If you were stuck on one of the first four levels, hopefully the walkthrough above helped you through. We'll be back shortly with a walkthrough of the final four levels of Forgotten Shores. Until then, give them your best shot and let us know how it goes in the comments below! You can also check out all our other gaming guides too!
- Angry Birds Go!: Top 10 tips, tricks, and cheats!
- Bejeweled Blitz: Top 8 tips, hints, and cheats to get your highest scores ever!
- Boom Beach: Top 10 tips and tricks to defeating the Blackguards without spending tons of real cash!
- Candy Crush: Top 10 tips, tricks, and cheats!
- Candy Crush Saga: Another 10 killer help, hints, and guide to extra lives!
- Card Wars - Adventure Time: 5 tips, hints, and cheats to be the cool guy
- Clash of Clans: Top 6 tips, hints, and cheats!
- Clumsy Ninja: Top 10 tips, tricks, and cheats to train harder and level up faster!
- Cut the Rope 2: Top 10 tips, tricks, and cheats to help Om Nom beat levels and find his candy faster!
- Despicable Me: Minion Rush tips, tricks, and cheats
- Disco Zoo: Top 10 tips and tricks to help you grow your zoo as fast as possible!
- Duet Game: Top 10 tips and tricks!
- Dwarven Den: Top 10 tips, hints, and cheats to blazing a path to buried treasure!
- Family Guy: The Quest for Stuff: Top 10 tips and tricks you need to know!
- Farm Heroes Saga: Top 10 tips, hints, and cheats
- FarmVille 2 Country Escape: Top 10 tips, hints, and cheats!
- Flappy Bird: Top 5 tips, hints, and cheats
- Hay day: Top 6 tips, tricks, and cheats to save cash and grow your farm fast!
- The Hobbit: Kingdoms of Middle Earth: Top 5 tips and tricks for building an empire and forging alliances
- Minecraft Pocket Edition: Top 10 tips, hints, and cheats!
- Mini Ninjas: Top 10 tips, hints, and cheats to getting your best run possible!
- Monument Valley: Top 10 tips and tricks to help guide Ida on her journey
- Pet Rescue Saga: Top 10 tips, hints, and cheats!
- Plants vs. Zombies 2: Top 10 tips, hints, and cheats to pass levels faster
- Plague Inc.: Top 5 tips, tricks and cheats
- Real Racing 3: Top 10 tips, hints, and cheats for better cars and faster upgrades!
- The Simpsons: Tapped Out: Top 8 tips, hints, and cheats for donuts, cash, and XP!
- Slayin: Top 5 tips, tricks, and cheats
- Smash Hit: Top 10 tips, hints, and cheats to help you achieve your best distance yet!
- Tiny Death Star: Top 10 tips, hints, and cheats to crush the rebellion faster!
- Tiny Wings: Top 10 tips, hints, and cheats to help you fly higher and nest up faster!
- 2048: Top 7 tips, hints, and cheats to stack your way to a higher score!