For Pokémon Go Fest 2021, Niantic is bringing back every Legendary Raid for one day only. On Sunday, July 18, Therian forme Landorus will return to Raids, alongside dozens of other Legenday Pokémon. Fortunately, we here at iMore have everything you need to know to win this fight and add Therian forme Landorus to your roster. And be sure to check out our Best Pokémon Go Accessories, so you can be fully equipped for your Pokémon Journey!
Who is Therian forme Landorus in Pokémon Go?
Introduced in the Gen V games Pokémon Black and Pokémon White, the Forces of Nature are a Legendary Trio. Fans have also called them the Legendary Genies, the Kami Trio, and the Cloud Trio. They include Tornadus: the Cyclone Pokémon, Thundurus: the Bolt Strike Pokémon, and Landorus: the Abundance Pokémon. Landorus, the strongest of the three, was said to have stopped the other two from wreaking destruction across the Unova Region. In more recent times, the Mythical Pokémon, Meloetta was able to calm all three of the Forces of Nature to save the Unova Region from their destructive powers.
The Forces of Nature are also some of the select few Pokémon with multiple Formes. Normally seen in their Incarnate forms where they resemble genies, they can also take on a Therian forme where they resemble a bird, a dragon, and a large cat. Guides for the other Forces of Nature and the Therian formes can be found here:
- To prep for Incarnate forme Tornadus, check out our Tornadus Incarnate Raid Guide.
- To prep for Incarnate forme Thundurus, check out our Thundurus Incarnate Raid Guide.
- To prep for Incarnate forme Landorus, check out our Landorus Incarnate Raid Guide.
- To prep for Therian forme Thundurus, check out our Thundurus Therian Raid Guide.
- To prep for Therian forme Tornadus, check out our Tornadus Therian Raid Guide.
What are the best counters for Therian forme Landorus in Pokémon Go?
A Ground and Flying type, Therian forme Landorus only has two weaknesses: Water and Ice. Ice is a quad weaknesses, so that's primarily what you want to bring to this Raid, especially if you can coordinate bringing Mega Abomasnow. Incarnate forme Landorus is capable of dealing Ground, Rock, Fighting, and Psychic type damage.
The top non-Shadow counter for Landorus is the Mega Evolved Pokémon, Mega Abomasnow. A Grass and Ice type, Mega Abomasnow takes double damage from the Abundance Pokémon's Rock and Fighting type attacks, while resisting his Ground type attacks. If you can safely coordinate with your fellow Raiders, Mega Abomasnow is the key to taking out this Raid fast and with fewer Trainers. Powder Snow and Weather Ball are the ideal moves for this Raid.
The Sinnoh Stone evolution of Gen II's Piloswine, Mamoswine is a great choice for this Raid. As a Ground and Ice type, it takes increased damage from Fighting type attacks but has no weaknesses Landorus can exploit. Having been featured in a number of events, including its own Community Day, as well as evolving from the relatively common Swinub, most players have at least one or two already powered up for this Raid. If you are bringing Mamoswine to this Raid, you'll want it to know Powder Snow and Avalanche.
The Ice type "Eeveelution", Glaceon is an excellent choice for this Raid that nearly every active player has. Not only have we had Eevee in Community Days and events, but evolving all of the "Eeveelutions" is a part of Special Research. Glaceon is a pure Ice type, so Fighting and Rock type moves will do super effective damage. Frost Breath and Avalanche are the moves you'll want your Glaceon to know for this Raid.
Neither Ice nor Water type, Gen I's Legendary Mewtwo still manages to make for an excellent counter to Landorus. As a pure Psychic type, it's one of the only counters with no weaknesses the Abundance Pokémon can exploit and it resists Fighting and Psychic type to boot. Mewtwo has also been featured in events, Raids, and even as a Shadow Legendary in Giovanni's roster, so most players have had the chance to catch a few. However, if you are bringing Mewtwo to this fight, you'll need Psycho Cut Ice Beam for its charged attack, but if your Mewtwo already knows Psystrike or Shadow Ball (or both) do not TM these moves. Both are Legacy moves and the best moves in their type. If your Mewtwo has either, leave it out of your party this time.
One of the few Gen VIII Pokémon available in Pokémon Go, Galarian Darmanitan is a regional variant of the Unovan Pokémon Darmanitan. The pair share Candy and their first stage, Darumaka has been feature in events and Eggs, making this counter very obtainable. As a pure Ice type, it takes double damage from both Fighting and Rock, with no useful resistances, but it is tanky otherwise. You'll want your Galarian Darmanitan to know Ice Fang and Avalanche for this fight.
Just as Mega Abomasnow is our best non-Shadow counter, Abomasnow itself is a great option for this Raid. This Grass and Ice type will take increased damage from Rock and Fighting type moves, but resists Landorus's Ground type attacks. Abomasnow is also very obtainable, as it has been featured in Mega Raids, as well as numerous events. If you're bringing Abomasnow to this fight, Powder Snow and Weather Ball is also the ideal moveset.
One of the Legendary bird of Kanto, Articuno works well in this Raid and most active players have had dozens of chances to catch it, as it has been featured in Raids, Research Breakthrough Reward encounters, and even as a Shadow Pokémon. It would be higher on the list if it weren't for its quad weakness to Rock type attacks, but it does take reduced damage from Ground. Frost Breath and Ice Beam are the moves you'll want your Articuno to know.
Gen V's Beartic is another excellent choice against Landorus. It's a pure Ice type so takes increased damage from Fighting and Rock type moves, but it handles Ground and Psychic just fine. Its first stage, Cubchoo has been featured in multiple events, Field Research, and even as a Raid boss, but some of those appearances were a costumed version which cannot be evolved. Still, if you have Beartic, Powder Snow is the fast move you'll want it to know and Ice Punch is the ideal charged move.
Although an Ice based offensive is ideal, the introduction of Mega Blastoise opens up the possibility for a Water based plan of attack. Even in a vacuum, Mega Blastoise performs alongside the top counters, but if you can safely coordinate with your fellow Raiders, it will boost all the other Water types on the field. As a pure Water type, it also has no weaknesses Landorus can take advantage of. Water Gun and Hydro Cannon are the best moves for your Mega Blastoise to know for this Raid, but Ice Beam can also work well.
Last but not least is Vanilluxe, one of the strangest Pokémon out there. A living ice cream cone, Vanilluxe is a pure Ice type, so will take increased damage from Rock and Fighting type moves. Its first stage, Vanillite was introduced last holiday season, but was available in the Wild, Eggs, Raids, and Special Research, so most players had plenty of opportunities to add these ice cream Pokémon to their roster. Frost Breath and Blizzard are the moves you'll want your Vanilluxe to know for this fight.
Although most players will be able to make a team of the best counters, if you're finding a gap in your team, there are plenty of back ups who work well in larger groups. Just make sure you're dodging and any of the following could be a decent back up:
- Mr. Rime with Ice Shard and Ice Punch
- Kyogre with Waterfall and Blizzard
- Porygon-Z with Hidden Power and Blizzard
- Alolan Ninetales with Powder Snow and Weather Ball
- Mega Gyarados with Waterfall and Hydro Pump
- Cloyster with Ice Shard and Avalanche
- Piloswine with Ice Shard and Avalanche
- Mew with Frost Breath and Ice Beam
- Weavile with Ice Shard and Avalanche
- Jynx with Frost Breath and Avalanche
- Walrein with Frost Breath and Blizzard
- Regice with Frost Breath and Blizzard
- Lapras with Frost Breath and Ice Beam
- Mega Slowbro with Water Gun and Ice Beam
- Feraligatr with Ice Fang and Ice Beam
- Swampert with Water Gun and Hydro Cannon
- Glalie with Frost Breath and Avalanche
- Kyurem with Dragon Breath and Blizzard
The rebalance of Shadow Pokémon rescued from Team GO Rocket make them excellent glass cannons. Not only are their stats boosted, but during special events or with Elite TMs, it's possible to change their moves. If you happen to have any of the following Pokémon with the right moveset, they will work very well in this Raid:
- Shadow Mamoswine with Powder Snow and Avalanche
- Shadow Mewtwo with Psycho Cut and Ice Beam
- Shadow Abomasnow with Powder Snow and Weather Ball
- Shadow Articuno Frost Breath and Ice Beam
- Shadow Walrein with Frost Breath and Blizzard
- Shadow Porygon-Z with Lock-On and Blizzard
- Shadow Lapras with Frost Breath and Ice Beam
- Shadow Piloswine Ice Shard and Avalanche
- Shadow Cloyster with Frost Breath and Avalanche
- Shadow Swampert with Water Gun and Hydro Cannon
- Shadow Weavile with Ice Shard and Avalanche
- Shadow Gyarados with Waterfall and Hydro Pump
- Shadow Blastoise with Water Gun and Hydro Cannon
Note: Shadow Mamoswine and Shadow Mewtwo outperform every other Pokémon in the best counters list.
How many players does it take to beat Therian forme Landorus in Pokémon Go?
While it is technically possible for two high level trainers with the best counters to take out Therein forme Landorus, if you're lower level or lacking in the best counters, you may need as many as five Trainers.
Weather conditions that can impact this Raid include:
- Sunny/Clear Weather will boost Landorus' Ground type moves.
- Wind will boost Landorus' Psychic type move.
- Partly Cloudy Weather will boost Landorus' Rock type move.
- Cloudy Weather will boost Landorus' Fighting type move.
- Snow will boost your Ice type counters.
- Rain will boost your Water type counters.
Questions about taking on Therian forme Landorus in Pokémon Go?
Do you have any questions about taking on the Legendary Pokémon Landorus in his Therian forme? Got any tips for your fellow Trainers? Drop them in the comments below, and be sure to check out our Complete Pokédex, so you can be the very best like no one every was!