If you're just starting out with the Switch, Nintendo's hybrid gaming console, or if you've been playing Zelda for weeks, there may be a few things you didn't know you could do with it. We spent much of our play time figuring out how to do everything with the Switch, and here's the ultimate guide.
What's new with Nintendo Switch?
September 18, 2018: Nintendo launches Switch online service.
It's official. As of today, Nintendo has launched the Nintendo Switch Online Service. If you want to play (most) games online you are going to have to subscribe to the service. This evening, Nintendo rolled out the 6.0.0 firmware update and shortly after the online service was launched. It allows Switch players to play online, along with access to a library of classic NES games, and special deals. If you want to know more about Nintendo Switch Online you can read up about it here.
In addition to Switch Online support, the new firmware added the following.
- Save Data Cloud Backup
- Uploading album screenshots to social media
- New Captain Toad user icons
- Parental controls added to News articles
Everything you need to go with your Nintendo Switch
You can get hours and hours of fun with your Switch right out of the box without needing anything but a game to play, but that doesn't mean there aren't already lots of great games and accessories to make your gaming experience even better. We've sifted through to find the best games and accessories available for the Nintendo Switch so far.
Nintendo is regularly launching digital downloadable games in the eShop, so be sure to bookmark our regularly-updated list of all Switch games you can get.
These are the best accessories you can get for the Nintendo Switch.
- Pro Controller vs. Joy-Con controllers: which is better?
- Best microSD cards for Nintendo Switch
- Best headphones for Nintendo Switch
- Best screen protectors for Nintendo Switch
- Best portable battery chargers for Nintendo Switch
- Best accessories for Nintendo Switch
- Best travel accessories for Nintendo Switch
- Cool Splatoon 2 accessories
- The Nintendo Switch Online app on iPhone
If you've decided the Switch is not for you, there are a lot of people out there willing to take it off your hands.
How to set up your Nintendo Switch
If you've just unboxed your Switch and haven't even turned it on, or if you've gotten through the set up but need help adding your Nintendo Account, browse through our set up guides to help you.
- How to set up your Nintendo Switch
- How to create a new Nintendo Account
- How to link your Nintendo Network ID with your Nintendo Account
- How to set up multiple user profiles on Nintendo Switch
- How to create and edit a Mii on Nintendo Switch
- How to add or change Nintendo Accounts in the eShop on your Switch
- How to add funds to your Nintendo Account
- How to delete a user profile from your Nintendo Switch
- How to pair a new Joy-Con controller to your Nintendo Switch
- How to set up Amiibo on Nintendo Switch
How to set up and use Parental Controls on Nintendo Switch
Nintendo has made it very easy for parents to keep an eye on what their little ones are up to when playing games and socializing on the Switch. You can set up a child account, protect your Switch with parental controls, and monitor your children's activities.
- How to set up Parental Controls on Nintendo Switch
- How to use the Nintendo Switch Parental Controls app
- How to create and supervise your child's Nintendo Account
How to use your Nintendo Switch
Once the initial setup is complete, there are a few additional customizations and special features you should know about. If you want to share a screenshot of that moment you took down that boss, or if you want to turn down your screen brightness to save some battery juice, we've got everything you need to know right here.
- How to take a screenshot on your Nintendo Switch
- How to share Nintendo Switch screenshots to Facebook and Twitter
- How to add friends on Nintendo Switch
- How to use Quick Settings on Nintendo Switch
- How to enable Dark Mode on Nintendo Switch
- How to tweak your Nintendo Switch settings to perfection
- How to safely swap microSD cards on Nintendo Switch
- How to stop Switch from automatically turning on
- How to adjust the audio settings for Nintendo Switch in TV mode
- How to transfer Nintendo Switch games to a microSD card
- How to delete, archive, and reinstall digital games on Nintendo Switch
- How to switch your Joy-Cons back to normal from sideways
- How to clean your Nintendo Switch
- How to update your Nintendo Switch software
- How to update your Nintendo Switch controllers
- How to make your user account first in line on the Home screen
- How to use Channels to get updates on your favorite games
- How to add your Wii U and 3DS friends to your Nintendo Switch
- How to find out when your friends are online
Game Guides for Nintendo Switch games
We've been playing our fingers to the bones on some of the most popular games on Nintendo Switch. If you're looking for help with a specific game, check our list of ultimate guides below.
- ARMS: Everything you need to know!
- Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition - The ultimate starter kit
- Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition - Top 10 tips and tricks
- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe: Everything you need to know
- The most useful Amiibo for Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
- Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - How to get warm clothes
- Best Switch games to play after you beat Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
No matter what you do right, there's always something that goes wrong. If you've discovered that you're Switch is running hot while in the dock, you've got dead pixels, or you jammed your Joy-Con controller when trying to put on the straps, we've got a troubleshooting guide for you.
This post may contain affiliate links. See our disclosure policy for more details.